Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIP

Reaction score
I am going to make a bold statement.

I don't like lagers. I haven't tried a lager I have liked. Maybe I am not trying the right ones. Maybe I just don't have a palate for it. I know I have a different palate than most because of my experience with cupping coffee.

Any suggestions for a good lager as a last effort to find one I like?

Most of the ones I have tried taste, bitter as in harsh, metalic, plasticy, and skunky. I prefer a coors or bud light over most other lagers because they at least give me a sourdough taste.

Try some of the more niche lagers fom German brewers... Ayinger, Weihenstephan, etc. Also, try a good Doppelbock. And stay away from green or clear bottles exposed to light... there's a good chance they'll be skunked.

What lagers have you had? Most dark ones, for example, are not very bitter at all and they don't skunk.

The only thing that is generally true of lagers is that they lack the fruity esters that ales have.

It's almost the season for maibock- try one (NOT in a green bottle!) and see if you like it. It's like an Oktoberfest in many ways.

I also like dopplebocks, and would recommend trying one locally if you can find one.

Dark sounds good. I will try getting some of the german dark lagers and see how it goes.

I don't like lagers. I haven't tried a lager I have liked. Maybe I am not trying the right ones. Maybe I just don't have a palate for it. I know I have a different palate than most because of my experience with cupping coffee.

Any suggestions for a good lager as a last effort to find one I like?

Most of the ones I have tried taste, bitter as in harsh, metalic, plasticy, and skunky. I prefer a coors or bud light over most other lagers because they at least give me a sourdough taste.

I'd be willing to bet that if you went to the Czech Republic, that you'd come back with a totally different opinion of lagers.

What lagers have you had, anyway? I'm hoping you won't say Heineken, Grolsch, Pilsner Urquell and Corona, all in green or clear bottles, and all notorious for being skunked and off here in the US.

Generally speaking, lagers are much more about the malt and hops, and not so much about the yeast flavors, so I can't imagine that if you like ales, that you wouldn't like lagers. I suspect you've just had bad examples!

Try Paulaner's Double Bock, a classic Doppelbock. It's non-polarizing. I don't know anyone that doesn't like that beer.

I'd be willing to bet that if you went to the Czech Republic, that you'd come back with a totally different opinion of lagers.

What lagers have you had, anyway? I'm hoping you won't say Heineken, Grolsch, Pilsner Urquell and Corona, all in green or clear bottles, and all notorious for being skunked and off here in the US.

Generally speaking, lagers are much more about the malt and hops, and not so much about the yeast flavors, so I can't imagine that if you like ales, that you wouldn't like lagers. I suspect you've just had bad examples!

I have tried many, those you mentioned where horrible. I have tried a few that where given to me or reccomended. I think because of my bad experiences, I have avoided buying them in general thinking I don't want to waste my money. I guess I just haven't given them a chance. I will buy a bomber or sixer of something German, and dark.

I don't like dog turds. I haven't tried a turd I have liked. Maybe I am not trying the right ones. Maybe I just don't have a palate for it. I know I have a different palate than most because of my experience with cupping coffee.

Any suggestions for a good dog turd as a last effort to find one I like?

In all seriousness, just keep drinking what you like. Perhaps you'll find a lager you like someday.

ummmmm, arent coors and budweiser both LAGERS?!?!?!?!

i mean i may be having a really stupid moment but coors and bud are both american light lagers right?

I don't know so much that that is a bold statement. But I can somewhat relate. It isn't that I don't like lagers, I just don't prefer them. Other than Sam Adams Boston Ale, which is a good go to beer at every Chili's and Applebee's type place where there isn't anything better, I don't drink a lot of lagers.

This is why I'm glad there are so many different beer styles and that America is starting to explore them more than the beers that get advertised on Sunday afternoons as being less filling or having more drinkability. We all like something different.

If you get beers from Left Hand where you live, you should consider Polestar Pilsner. It is a very flavorful lager, full of malty goodness and an impressive show of hops.

I'm not a big Lager fan either. But, I'll drink a Yuengling traditional now and then.

If I lived where you live my fridge would be full of Kokanee. Unfortunately I cannot get it here and have been searching in vain for a decent clone.

I have a bottle of Kokanee in my fridge. I usually pass it up for others. Maybe I will try it.

If I lived where you live my fridge would be full of Kokanee. Unfortunately I cannot get it here and have been searching in vain for a decent clone.

One of my buddies drinks nothing but Kokanee, and he drinks a lot of beer.

I prefer Kokanee Gold, but only really like it on tap.

Update, Kokanee = thumbs down, although more better than others I have tried. (yes I said more better)

Update, Kokanee = thumbs down, although more better than others I have tried. (yes I said more better)

You are hard to please. Kokanee is a great Pilsner so you should probably forget trying any other Pilsners. Now work your way back towards the dark lagers.

Latest posts

Back