Lagers and pilsener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Ring

Reaction score
I am getting ready to try my first lager and I have an ingredient question. I do not like pilseners, and I have noticed a lot of recipes use pilsner malt. Does the pilsner malt give the pilsener taste, or is it the pilsener yeast? Thanks in advance

Pilsner is just one style of beer but Pilsner malt is a base malt that is used for many styles. Just like Pale Ale is just a style of beer but Pale Ale malt is a base malt used for many styles.

I am getting ready to try my first lager and I have an ingredient question. I do not like pilseners, and I have noticed a lot of recipes use pilsner malt. Does the pilsner malt give the pilsener taste, or is it the pilsener yeast? Thanks in advance

I used to think that I hated "pilseners" but that was when I thought that Miller lite and similar beers = Pilsner. I went to Germany and found out, wow, that is not the case at all!

German Pilsner's are a deliciously crisp, hoppy (noble of course) refreshing beer.

There are also Bohemian Pilsner's, i.e. Czech Pilsner, which I certainly respect but do not quite enjoy as much as German Pils... And then there are American Pilsners...

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style02.php

It's the malt. However, it is not a powerful taste and disappears quickly with the addition of any kilned malts. Don't be afraid to use it in non-pilsner recipes. Be sure to boil 90 minutes uncovered to get rid of the DMS that will be formed when the pilsner is heated (since it is very light, it still contains a lot of the DMS precursors).

Yeah I lived in Germany for 3 years and had the opportunity to try MANY Pilsners. I didn't care for may of them Urquell, Bitburger, Czech, etc... Some were better than others, but I just didn't care for the taste that they all seemed to have in common, and I don't want to recreate it.

Latest posts

Back