Lagering in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
I have a Modelo Dark clone from Northern Brewer that has been fermenting in the primary 3 weeks. I would like to try lagering the beer but am confused on the directions. The brew sheet says secondary fermentation at lagering temps but doesn't say anything about racking to a secondary vessel. It recommends letting the beer condition on the yeast at the cold temps. Can anyone advise on whether to rack prior to cold conditioning? Thanks in advance.

best to rack and then lager in either carboy with minimal headspace or a corny keg

i usually bring it down to lager temps in the primary and then rack

So bring it down slowly(1-2 days) to around 36 and then rack to secondary & cold condition 3-4 weeks? Also I have a little head space from blow off right now. What can I do to reduce that when I rack to another 5 gallon carboy which should leave more head space than i have now due to trub loss.....

Maybe I'm over analyzing this.....

So bring it down slowly(1-2 days) to around 36 and then rack to secondary & cold condition 3-4 weeks? Also I have a little head space from blow off right now. What can I do to reduce that when I rack to another 5 gallon carboy which should leave more head space than i have now due to trub loss.....

Maybe I'm over analyzing this.....

You don't have to bring it down gradually. After the diacetyl rest (if doing) you can just rack and start lagering. I'm not a fan of the idea of lagering on the yeast cake. Lagers are clean and crisp and without yeast character, and I can taste yeast in beers that had a lengthy primary (even ales). I find it objectionable, but others may not.

Anyway, if you're not doing a diacetyl rest, you can rack at any time. The advantage to cold crashing before racking is knocking out more yeast in suspension, but it's a minor amount and has no real impact on the final beer, as long as the beer is fairly clear when you rack ig.

Thanks Yooper. Does lagering with some headspace have a noticeable effect on the beer?

Back