Lagering in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSultan

Reaction score
Hey all,

Is it possible to lager your beer (pilsner-style lager) after you have bottled them? It would be pretty cool to see how the carbonated beer’s taste changes and develops.

If this is not a good idea; why not? Is it because of the carbon dioxide?

Thanks,
M

TheSultan said:
Hey all,

Is it possible to lager your beer (pilsner-style lager) after you have bottled them? It would be pretty cool to see how the carbonated beer’s taste changes and develops.

If this is not a good idea; why not? Is it because of the carbon dioxide?

Thanks,
M

In addition, the other thing to worry about is that the cold dry air tends to dry out plastic seals over time, meaning that your caps could eventually fail.

Evan! said:
In addition, the other thing to worry about is that the cold dry air tends to dry out plastic seals over time, meaning that your caps could eventually fail.
How long are we talking about lagering? A month or two (or six)? That seems like a very remote possibility. Now if we were talking about 6 years, I might buy it (maybe).

lagering... as in primary fermentation occuring in each bottle? Or are you talking about pitching lager yeast in right before bottling, then putting all the beers in the fridge?

If you are talking about putting sweet wort into each bottle, them capping and putting in the fridge - bad idea. You'll have a massive yeast cake at the bottom of each bottle!!!

I am under the impression that the lagering phase is before carbonation. It is in one of my books. I suppose you could add the priming sugar, bottle, and then immediately cold store a little above 32 degrees. Don't think the lager yeast will be active at that temp, so they wouldn't carb the bottle. Then after you are done lagering, you could put it at a wamer temp so the bottles do carb.
As mentioned before, bulk lagering is better.

sirsloop said:
lagering... as in primary fermentation occuring in each bottle? Or are you talking about pitching lager yeast in right before bottling, then putting all the beers in the fridge?

If you are talking about putting sweet wort into each bottle, them capping and putting in the fridge - bad idea. You'll have a massive yeast cake at the bottom of each bottle!!!

I mean lagering as in botteling the beer after a total of three weeks of fermentation (both primary and secondary), instead of letting it sit in a fermenter bucket for another few weeks at low temperature.

Cheers,
M

sirsloop said:

Fermentation is not lagering.

Lagering is basically cold conditioning of a finished brew before it is packaged (Bottled or kegged)

TheSultan said:
I mean lagering as in botteling the beer after a total of three weeks of fermentation (both primary and secondary), instead of letting it sit in a fermenter bucket for another few weeks at low temperature.

Cheers,
M
From everything I've read, this will work, but bulk lagering will work better. What's the rush to bottle? If I understand what you're saying here it doesn't sound like you are planning to shorten the time it takes to have the beer ready to drink. If you need the carboy, go get another one. Your beer (and your taste buds) will thank you.

Here's what I do: I leave the wort in my primary for 10 to 20 days at about 50 degrees. I rack it to secondary and leave it there for another 3 to 4 weeks at about 40 degrees. (I'm fermenting in my crawlspace so temp control is not precise. I use a heating pad to keep the primary about 10 degrees above ambient temps, but leave the secondary uncovered at ambient temps which seem to be generally in the upper 30's to low 40's.) I bottle and store them in a closet at room temp for 7 to 10 days to carbonate, then I move the bottles back into my crawlspace for another 2 to 4 weeks of conditioning/aging. From my limited experience, the longer the aging the better the final product.

IowaStateFan said:
From everything I've read, this will work, but bulk lagering will work better. What's the rush to bottle? If I understand what you're saying here it doesn't sound like you are planning to shorten the time it takes to have the beer ready to drink. If you need the carboy, go get another one. Your beer (and your taste buds) will thank you.

Here's what I do: I leave the wort in my primary for 10 to 20 days at about 50 degrees. I rack it to secondary and leave it there for another 3 to 4 weeks at about 40 degrees. (I'm fermenting in my crawlspace so temp control is not precise. I use a heating pad to keep the primary about 10 degrees above ambient temps, but leave the secondary uncovered at ambient temps which seem to be generally in the upper 30's to low 40's.) I bottle and store them in a closet at room temp for 7 to 10 days to carbonate, then I move the bottles back into my crawlspace for another 2 to 4 weeks of conditioning/aging. From my limited experience, the longer the aging the better the final product.

Well, I'm not planning to shorten the time it takes to get the beer ready, but since it's my first batch I'm trying to shorten the time to the first taste. I think I'll just bottle a few bottles and let the rest sit in the carboy.

Thanks for all answers!

/M

TheSultan said:
Well, I'm not planning to shorten the time it takes to get the beer ready, but since it's my first batch I'm trying to shorten the time to the first taste. I think I'll just bottle a few bottles and let the rest sit in the carboy.

Yes, you can lager in the bottle. There is everything that is needed for lagering: beer and yeast. It won't work as well as in bulk as the others already pointed out. Carbonation, at a level that is commonly found in beer, won't affect that lagering adversly. Every German brewery lagers their beers carbonated.

But if you want to try to shorten the time to the first taste, brew an ale and not a lager. Actually brew a few so you are not rushed dipping into your lager to soon. Because you can easily be disappointed by the lager if you drink it before it is ready.

Kai

I started doing my first lagers this November. I brew in my basement. It was getting too cold to make Ales - (53-57'F) I started making my first lagers.

I picked superior dry lager yeast. It works well in this range. (47-65'F)

I ferment my lagers like I do my ales. I go 7-10 days in the primary, then rack over the 2ndary for at least 2-3 weeks. Then bottle. I bring the bottles upstairs, to a warmer area, for a day or two to start the carbonation. Then put them down stairs for a total of 14 days. I also shake them every three days during the carb phase to keep the yeast suspended.

Then I bottle lager them in my HB fridge 6-8 weeks. There they stay until they are gone. I do the same with ales but the time in the primary is usually 5-7 days.

The main reason I do this is I don't have room for a carboy and all of the bottles that are lagering in the fridge. I'd have to yank shelves out to fit a carboy inside.

I'm happy with this and I don't need to make any special accomidations to do a lager. I hate the idea of removing the drinking supply to fit a carboy. My lagers & Ales are very crisp due to the time in the fridge. You could say I also lager my ales. I don't drink them until they are close to 3 months old.

If you do it this way you won't be disappointed.

:mug:

Also use less, I'd say 3/4 of a priming substance, you would use otherwise on conditioned beer.

sirsloop said:

Not to mention exploding botles.

Back