Lagering an Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmax1618

Reaction score
Today I am bottling an amber that has been in secondary fermentation for a little over three weeks now. I wanted to try and lager part of the batch to see what results i could get (maybe a crisper beer), but i still want the bottles to carb up right. Since im using ale yeast i was thinking i would let it age at room temp for about 7 days and then transfer part of the batch to the fridge. I'm curious to see if this method will produce any results and was looking for some thoughts. Any advice?
Thanks
-Max

Dropping ale yeasts below their recommended temps will cause them to go dormant and fall out.

Honestly other than producing a really clear beer, that you might have to force carb, it is not going to change what you have already produced.

I would end up bottling it and let it condition for a while.

-Jason

Test one before to confirm their carbonated. Generally mine are done in one week. Some beers do get better after a week in the fridge, some don't. (I'm just referring to regular beers not the 8% ones that will need to age.)

Often my first taste of a batch has only sat in the freezer 15-20 minutes and it's usually pretty good so I put more in the fridge to cold condition. But then I remember that it was good and have another one. It's hard for me to keep them in there that long.

I've cold crashed ales and let them sit at 35 degrees for several weeks and had no issues bottling. There should still be plenty of yeast in suspension. if you are nervous about it just crash cool for a few days and then bottle it. Leave the bottles at room temp for a few weeks then lager the bottles..

Thanks for the replies. It think all put a few bottles in the cold after a week and see what happens. If it works, great, ill do it on another batch. If not, ill have a few flat ambers, no big loss for the sake of good beer. Thanks.

Your better off putting one in the freezer for 20 min first and drinking it, if it's flat wait another week, if not put a bunch in the fridge. If you don't you will never know what the cold time did anyway.

Thanks for the replies. It think all put a few bottles in the cold after a week and see what happens. If it works, great, ill do it on another batch. If not, ill have a few flat ambers, no big loss for the sake of good beer. Thanks.

Even if they aren't carbed on the first go around, if you bring the unopened ones up to room temperature the yeast will go right back to work eating up any sugars left.

Back