Lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys. Planning a brewday on saturday. It's going to be a Sam Adams winter lager clone. I do an all grain BIAB 10 gallon batch and have just recently acquired a temp controller for one of my extra fridges. Just wondering cause this is my first lager, after boiling the wort do i chill it down to room temp, then pitch my yeast and chill further or do i chill down to... what 50 fahr maybe and pitch the yeast? Is hydrating lager yeast the same process as with ale yeast? Also with this being my first lager, quite a daunting task fellas, any tips at all, pitfalls warnings..whatever would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everybody

I've pitched lager yeast both ways with good results. My preferred way though is to pitch at 50'ish degrees as there's less chance of off flavours(fruity). Re-hydration is the same as ale yeast. Which ever way you go make sure you:

1. Pitch the yeast at the same temp as the wort(can give the yeast a thermal shock if you don't)
2. Use a larger starter or pitch multiple packages of yeast.(this is because of the fermentation temp)

Good luck

Get a big enough starter made and into a Mason jar ahead of brew day. The Mason jar of yeast then goes in the fermentation chamber set to 46 degrees.

On brew day, chill the wort down as close to 46 degrees as is practical, drain into a bucket/carboy, put on an airlock with vodka, and place it also into the fermentation chamber.

Once both the wort and the yeast are at 46 degrees, decant the beer off of the yeast, use a wine thief to half-fill the Mason jar with wort and agitate to get the yeast cake unstuck from the bottom, oxygenate the wort, and dump the yeast into the wort.

Put it back into the fermentation chamber, and change the setpoint to 48 degrees.

In my experience with lagers, I think you can pitch the yeast anywhere under 70F then slowly bring down to fermentation temp. Like Byrone said, you may get a touch of "fruitier" taste if it stays too warm for too long, but pitching at a higher temp won't affect the beer too much especially as it ferments and clears out - assuming your temps throughout fermentation are consistent!

I always make at least a 2L starter for my yeast. I use liquid so not sure how different hydrating it is.

The only "warning" I would have is to keep your temperature steady! Depending on what you're brewing and what kind of yeast you're using, a dactyl rest is usually helpful to clear out any off flavors.

What kind of yeast are you using? Also, what kind of fridge are you using and what's your fermentation plan?

In my experience with lagers, I think you can pitch the yeast anywhere under 70F then slowly bring down to fermentation temp. Like Byrone said, you may get a touch of "fruitier" taste if it stays too warm for too long, but pitching at a higher temp won't affect the beer too much especially as it ferments and clears out - assuming your temps throughout fermentation are consistent!

I always make at least a 2L starter for my yeast. I use liquid so not sure how different hydrating it is.

The only "warning" I would have is to keep your temperature steady! Depending on what you're brewing and what kind of yeast you're using, a dactyl rest is usually helpful to clear out any off flavors.

What kind of yeast are you using? Also, what kind of fridge are you using and what's your fermentation plan?

Saflager s-23, ideal temp given 55-60. Got an old fridge tall enough for two 5 gal buckets that does not run so good but i'm able to keep it at a solid 50. So the plan is to let it sit at 50 for two weeks, then rack to a secondary and chill down to refridge temp and lager for as long as i can.

Back