Lager Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeygreg44

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a Vienna Lager on Sunday and just starting my 2L yeast starter. I'll be using Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager yeast. For this yeast starter, should I do it at 52F, which i will primary at, or can I just leave it at room temperature? This will be for a 5 gallon batch. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A lager yeast starter at fermentation temps will take longer to grow new yeast, maybe 5 or more days. Making a starter for a lager at room temps (65 to 69f) is acceptable and will result in a faster growth rate. Just remember to lower the temp of the starter to fermentation temps before pitching or refrigerate and decant and warm back up to fermentation temps before pitching. The warmer starter temp is your best option if brewing within a couple days.

Thanks for the help! I have it going at room temperature right now. I plan to brew Sunday morning, so I was thinking that I will let it go until tomorrow night and then put it in the fridge overnight and pull it out Sunday morning when I finish my mash and decant off the liquid and let it warm up and then pitch. Does that sound like a good plan, or should I just let it go until I am starting my boil and then put it in the fridge to cool it?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Often lager yeasts are sluggish to floc out when cold crashing, so overnight may not be enough time. But I will say I had a somewhat odd experience last time I used 2308. It dropped like cheese (similar to 1968 )

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Back