Lager yeast (Pilsner) fermenting at 68F...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin K

Reaction score
I've just realized that one of the kits I brewed on New Years Eve used a lager yeast.

To be honest, I wasn't really paying attention when brewing.

It's still fermenting (barely), now at about 64F.

I'm sure it'll make a decent beer, but should I expect any off flavours?
I'm also dry hopping with an ounce of Saaz (added at 8 days).

Kevin

Well, not really off-flavors. It'll be fruitier, as if you used an ale yeast. You won't have that clean crisp lager flavor, but it 'll probably be better anyway (I'm not really a lager fan!) You made a steam beer. You can still cold condition it after it carbonates to help smooth it out.

Yep, I have always heard if you have to ferment a lager at a higher temperature, to still use a lager yeast. Some people think they have to use an ale yeast, but you will just end up with a little fruitier beer using the lager yeast at 64*F like YooperBrew said.

Dry hopping Saaz always gives me a grassy flavour. I haven't done it myself, but tasted a few from others.
Fermenting at higher than recommended fermenting temps will usually give esters. YMMV

Back