lager yeast failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_guy_dave

Reaction score
Started an Octoberfest kit 2 days ago (Brewers Best). Pitched the yeast which was stated as a lagering yeast but with instructions that it could be used as an ale yeast. This is the first time I've used this kind of yeast. At any rate, after 48 hr, no activity in the air lock. I took a peek in the bucket, and there is no bubbling at all. Should I re-pitch a more traditional yeast, or wait longer?

Thanks in advance for the help

Dave

If you didn't rehydrate it, give it at least 24 more hours. Keep the temp around 68F. There's no reason for that yeast to not work. Don't rely on the airlock, lager yeast may not show much activity on the surface. Your wort should have a cloudy appearance once things are underway.

1) Remember, the only "activity" that means ANYTHING is a change in gravity, anything else can be deceiving, especially bubbles. Also remember that as the sticky in the beginners forum, and the million posts on here reiterate, it can take up to 3 days for yeast to get going- Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we STILL don't mean airlock activity.

2) Lagers don't necessarily behave like Ales do. In the cold if there is any "activity" like you're looking for instead of a gravity reading, it's even less visible.....So again it's all about the gravity after 72 hours.

Thanks for the info. I've made a bunch of kits, but never with this type of yeast. Never had one that didn't show pretty evident signs of fermentation within a day or so. I guess I prematurely freaked. This is actually my first brew in over a year. Now that I'm recently retired maybe I'll get to brew more. Guess I'm just out of practice.

Since this is fermenting different than I've ever done before, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Dave

Back