lager without a fridge control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
this might be a stupid question, but what would happen if you tried to lager in a regular fridge(has no extra temperature controller added)? how would it turn out?

or even on the cellar floor in the winter?

You can definitely lager in a fridge, no problem. When I lager, I keep the beer at 34 degrees for about 8 weeks, which is easy in a fridge. The issue with lagers is the fermentation temperature- the lager yeasts like to be in the 46-52 degree area (more or less, depending on yeast type, but 50 degrees is about right for all of them). Less than about 45, and they won't ferment so that's why a fridge without a temperature controller won't work for fermentation. Lagers take 2-4 weeks in primary and then the rest of the time is secondary/lagering time.

I primary for about 2 weeks at 50 degrees, and then taste for diacetyl. If I detect diacetyl when fermentation is about 75% finished, then I do the diacetyl rest for 24-48 hours in the low-mid 60s. If I don't detect diacetyl (and I usually don't need a d-rest, since I pitch cold and many yeasts dont' produce much diacetyl), then I rack to secondary and begin lowering the temperature 5 degrees per day until I am at 34 degrees. Those temperatures are why many people use a fridge or freezer with a temperature controller.

I'm lucky, I guess- my basement is 49 degrees in the winter, so I can do this in my basement and then use a cooler and ice and water (I made a new lid for the cooler, so just the airlock pokes out) to bring down the temperature 5 degrees per day and then lager it for as long as 12 weeks if I want- just by changing the frozen water bottles every few days.

Temperature control is pretty critical with lagers, so many people just go ahead and use the fridge and controller.

I made a batch of lager w/o an external temp controller. If I set the fridge temp to the warmest setting it settled in at ~48-50 degrees, perfect temp for lager fermentation.

Give it a shot w/o the controller, IME it is an unnecessary expense.

Back