Lager Temp Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerd Bro

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

New brewer here, have my "rookie" batch finishing up fermentation and I am absolutely hooked, already planning on switching to partial mashes after my next extract brew.

I'd like to try out a smooth lager for my dad soon, fortunately I have a fridge I can spare, however I am stuck on how to slowly lower the temp again after the Diacetyl test without crashing. Would an alternative be to skip the test and tack on an additional 3 weeks (so about 6 total?) Before bottling? I know temp control is an option but im not sure if raising and lowering the fridge temp is a good idea as I still will have some bottles in there.

If you have used the warm diacetyl rest to ensure that the beer has fully attenuated and cleaned up, then you don't need to be concerned with dropping the temperature gradually. That is necessary when fermenting lager at traditional cool temps (46-52ºF), without an intentionally warm d-rest, to ensure that yeast do not go into dormancy. They still have work to do over the long haul while cold. In your case, that won't be necessary. You can crash away.

Thank you so much! I know lager isn't reccomended for beginners, but it doesn't seem so difficult as long as you play by lager rules and watch that temp!

Latest posts

Back