Lager temp and time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontiercdk

Reaction score
I am doing my first lager. It will be an American lite. I plan to use Wyeast2035.

I want to make sure I have the basic understanding. You begin fermentation in the mid 50s. Once you reach FG you transfer to a secondary and lower the temp close to 32 for some time to clarify (lager) the beer.

Is my understanding ok?
If I filter (.5 micron) can I shorten the lagering time on this?:confused:

I'd want to pitch that at about 48*F and ferment at 50-51*F until I got within about 80-85% of expected FG. Then, bring it up to 61-62*F for a few days for a d-rest followed by 5-7 days of cold crashing at 35*F (still in the primary, this will really help clarity).

Rack cold into the keg, purge a few times with CO2 and then let it lager around 35*F a month. The cold lagering does more than just clarify. It also gives time for phenol compounds to bind with proteins and settle out.

Personally, I wouldn't filter. My beers come out really clear without it.

Thanks for the response.

Will force carbonating screw up the lagering? It would be cool to sample it fully carbonated as the lagering process completed.

Thanks for the response.

Will force carbonating screw up the lagering? It would be cool to sample it fully carbonated as the lagering process completed.

Just hook it up to gas during the final 2 weeks of lagering, set it at about 11psi and you should be fine.

All right...

Chill the wort to 48, and my starter, then pitch? I cant get my wort to 48F this time of year with my wort chiller we are still 90-94 degrees as a high. I can get it to 48 in the freezer (temp control). If I finish cooling it in the freezer it will pull a vacuum and possibly contaminants into the wort before I have a chance to pitch my yeast. Suggestion?

All right...

Chill the wort to 48, and my starter, then pitch? I cant get my wort to 48F this time of year with my wort chiller we are still 90-94 degrees as a high. I can get it to 48 in the freezer (temp control). If I finish cooling it in the freezer it will pull a vacuum and possibly contaminants into the wort before I have a chance to pitch my yeast. Suggestion?

Put StarSan in the airlock. Definitely get the wort chilled down below 50*F before pitching even if that means putting it in the freezer for some hours. Make sure to aerate it really well and pitch plenty of yeasties. Lagers take roughly 2x the number of cells compared to the same size/gravity ale.

Back