Lager Stuck At 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
My pils has stuck. OG was 1.058. It's a little bit high obviously.

I'm about the bottle my batch. I'm not sure if I mash it in a such a way get high unfermentables.

I did diacetyl rest and hydrometer never moved again.

This SOUNDS like a common problem with extract batches getting stuck at 1.020 . . . but you said you mashed, so are you brewing All Grain? We need more information to know for sure:

1) How LONG has it been fermenting.

2) What are your temperatures.

3) What was your mash schedule (times, temperatures, rests)

4) What yeast did you use.

1- 1 month
2- 8 celcius
3- Don't understand :D
4- S-23

5- I re-measured now. It's low as 1.016 and this fits me. I all the time do all grain (also barley culturing-germinating) method.
Thanks for your quick help. The problem has solved.

I had this same problem with my first three batches. Someone gave me this advice last four have worked fine. Sterilize a whisk. When you reach temperature whisk the s**t out of it for a minute. Then pitch your yeast.

Since i started doing this i have never not gotten below 1.012 before i never got below 1.021. I do not know if its right wrong or indifferent, but it works.

Well, it seems your problem has worked out.

As for what I was asking in #3, what I mean is,

(a) What temperature did you mash the grains at?

(b) did you hold it constant, or did you use multiple temperature stops?

(c) How long did you mash the grains?

(d) How did you test for conversion (DID you test, or just assume that after a certain time, conversion was likely to have occurred)?

Back