Lager starter growth time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebgk

Wishy-washy
Reaction score
I was going to make my first lager. Made up a 5L of 1.040 two days before brewday. Put it on the stir plate, and saw no activity, no krausen, come brew day. The WLP840 was a few months past best before date, but I've used older yeast before with no problems.

So, I switched my brew for the day and made an ESB. I let the starter spin away. Day four, I got a krausen, but the starter smelled of sour apples. I ended up dumping it.

So, does a lager starter take longer to build than an ale starter? Or was this just a case of bad yeast not working for me?

A lager starter doesn't necessarily take longer to ferment but it may take longer because you need more yeast than an ale and have to step it up a couple of times. Two days usually isn't enough time. Also, even if you don't see krausen, it doesn't mean it isn't fermenting. When it takes on a milky color, you know it's been fermenting. That said, an old yeast pack may take a few days to get going.

Back