Lager questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
I need some advice on a Lager. I fermented it in the primary, using Wyeast 2206 Barvarian Lager yeast, at 50F degrees for approx 1 month. Then I transfered it to the secondary to dry hop for 10 days (same temperature). Then I primed with corn sugar, bottled it and returned it to the freezer @ 50 degrees.
Should I let this batch sit out @ warmer temps (like say 65*) for a few weeks to carbonate? Will it carbonate properly @ 50*? How long should I let it age prior to drinking it? Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

It'll carb up better at room temperature!

But when were you going to lager it? After it carbs up in the bottle?

Yes, that is the plan. At this point, it looks like my only option.
Right now my plan is to leave it out of the freezer/chamber (approx 65*F)for 3 weeks & test the carbonation. If it is OK, I will put the bottles in the freezer/chamber at 34*F for approx 2 months.
Are there any major flaws in my plan?

Will the carbing time serve as the diacetyl rest here? That's a step I'm missing.

Sure. As long at there is yeast in the bottle and the beer is at a temperature that keeps the yeast active (i.e., > 60), the diacetyl should be converted to ethanol.

I don't do it this way though. I always do a 2-day diacetyl rest just before I cold crash.

Back