Lager-possible under- pitched--what would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpo

Reaction score
WLP820 Octoberfest.
OG 1.058
Fermenting at 55-57
10 gal boil split to two, 5 gallon carboys
1600ml starter using 2 vials split between each carboy
after 7 days SG is 1.028

My thoughts:
1--rdwdahb
2--make another starter using wort captured from original mash and another 1-2 vials
3--xnsfr one carboy to a fresh carboy and make a starter from the dregs to repitch
4--just throw a new vial of WLP820 in each

After only 7 days I would RDWHAHB because lagers take much longer to ferment. Granted it does sound like you underpitched, but it is too early to throw in the towel. Why not bring it to room temp to let it do a diacytel rest and hopefully it will finish out in then next 3 days or so.

WLP820 Octoberfest.
OG 1.058
Fermenting at 55-57
10 gal boil split to two, 5 gallon carboys
1600ml starter using 2 vials split between each carboy
after 7 days SG is 1.028

My thoughts:
1--rdwdahb
2--make another starter using wort captured from original mash and another 1-2 vials
3--xnsfr one carboy to a fresh carboy and make a starter from the dregs to repitch
4--just throw a new vial of WLP820 in each

I'd check the SG in two days, and if was lower than 1.028, then I'll call it good. 1.028 after 7 days isn't out of line for a later. You may hit 1.020 or so in 3-5 more days and that would be a good time for a diacetyl rest.

Thanks for the replies.

I left one of the SG samples sit in the hydrometer on my counter overnight just for the heck of it, and this morning it was down a couple points, maybe to 1.024. The mash temp was steady at 153° for 60 minutes (well, I only lost about .75 of a degree to be honest), so I figured this would finish a little lower than 1.020 (recipe suggests that OG should be 1.054 and the FG should be 1.016), but given the OG started 4 points higher, I guess 1.020 isn't out of line.

The sample tasted great yesterday. One of the carboys is still bubbling a little bit, maybe one every minute, but the other hasn't really pushed up on the airlock inside cap thing in a while.

I'm thinking I will go with the advice and let it sit until Saturday. Then do a diacetyl rest for 24 hours. Any recommendations on temp? 65°?

On another note, the reason I split this into two batches was to try lagering one for March consumption just with the WLP820. The other I was going to add WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii and let it sit at lager temps until October. My question is, when to add the Brett? Do I need to leave some of the fermentable sugars in there so the Brett gets going well? My LHBS suggested that I add the Brett when the SG has dropped about 2/3 from the OG to the FG, but admittedly they didn't have much experience to draw on to really point me in a great direction.

If I were to follow their advice, I would give the one that has stopped bubbling a diacetyl rest now and then add the Brett. But i will wait to see if anyone here has some great advice that differs from theirs before I go home and do anything yet.

I'm thinking I will go with the advice and let it sit until Saturday. Then do a diacetyl rest for 24 hours. Any recommendations on temp? 65°? 68°?

On another note, the reason I split this into two batches was to try lagering one for March consumption just with the WLP820. The other I was going to add WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii and let it sit at lager temps until October. My question is, when to add the Brett? Do I need to leave some of the fermentable sugars in there so the Brett gets going well? My LHBS suggested that I add the Brett when the SG has dropped about 2/3 from the OG to the FG, but admittedly they didn't have much experience to draw on to really point me in a great direction.

If I were to follow their advice, I would give the one that has stopped bubbling a diacetyl rest now and then add the Brett. But i will wait to see if anyone here has some great advice that differs from theirs before I go home and do anything yet.

Anyone have any response to the latter question about when to pitch the Brett? I'm just going to go for it after the diacetyl rest unless I hear I should do it some other time.

Anyone have any response to the latter question about when to pitch the Brett? I'm just going to go for it after the diacetyl rest unless I hear I should do it some other time.

Check out the Brewing Network episode from a couple weeks ago. They did a nice long show on using Brett.

Latest posts

Back