Lager note: to new HBers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
I didn't know this in reading about lager brewing, but you can shut your yeast down by holding them at too high of a temperature. Apparently when I brought my current lager up in temperature to about 70 F for a diacetyl rest I lost all yeast activity for a week. I got fed up with it and took the fermenter back into the recommended range for the lager yeast (Saflager S-23) I'm using and got fermentation to start again at 58 F. I think a lot of the diacetyl is gone now too.

So learn from my mistake, and make sure to keep the yest you're using in the recommended range.

I've read it somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Seems to be the case for my yeast, though hopefully it isn't some kind of infection.

I did a 1 quart starter. I probably shouldn't have as everyone seems to say that dry yeast do not need a starter. I usually do 2 L starters, but my cheap Erlenmyer flask cracked when I was pouring hot starter wort into it and had to transfer half to a quart jar. I then later pitched another packet of the same yeast thinking I had a stalled fermentation, this time dry.

Back