Lager-like Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmeek

Reaction score
Ok I'm trying to make something in the realm of a Bohemian Pilsner but I don't have the ability to lager. I have a cool brew fermentation bag and I have been able to keep that around 60F no problem. I was thinking about using a kolsch or alt yeast with a BoPils grain/hop bill. I've never tried either, nor have I tried a German ale yeast but I heard keeping the temp low would produce fairly clean results. Any thoughts?

The current issue of BYO has an article about a homebrew club experimenting with different yeasts on a Pilsner beer. I believe the WLP080 (Cream Ale) yeast was their favorite for non-lager yeasts.

Otherwise, I have used WLP029 and fermented at low temps (60 degrees) and achieved a clean profile.

I am about to use WLP060 (American Ale) yeast on a beer this weekend, and this yeast is to give a lager like characteristic/flavor.

Kolsch/alt yeasts are great for what you are describing. Fermented on the cool end of the spectrum, they are very clean and lager-like. Not saying it will taste exactly like a BoPils, but it will be close enough for your purposes.

I would definitely go with a Kolsch, Alt, or Cal Common/Cal Lager strain. I would pitch at an appropriate rate for a lager (as in multiple packs of yeast and/or a multi-step starter or a very, very big single starter), aerate it very, very well, and then ferment it around 60. I'd probably go with the Kolsch strain in this case, but that's just me.

I have had great luck with Kolsch yeasts for this. Also, Mangrove Jack's makes a yeast that is purported to produce a clean profile all the way up the temp spectrum. I have not used it yet, but I have heard it is legit. It's the M10 or 'Workhorse'.

Cool, thanks for the quick responses! I think I'm leaning towards the kohlsch, I'll post results in a month or so

Word on the street is you can ferment BoLager strains at low ale temps and do better than clean ale strains.

Back