Lager left to die?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davcar74

Reaction score
Did a partial mash for a bohemian pilsner about 45 days ago. Fermented at the bottom of the temp range and did an appropriate d rest. Dropped back to ferm temp for a week, then began lagering. All was going well. However life got in the way and I ended up pulling this out of the ferm chamber and it has been on my basement floor (high 60s)for about a month. Dead? It ok because ferm had run its course beforehand?

It should be fine. As long as you controlled the temp during your primary fermentation and d rest. If you did a d rest after 2/3 or more of the fermentation was complete, the d rest pretty much brought you down to your FG. I'm assuming you lagered in a keg or carboy?

You'll be fine. When I started to get into lagers I did not have a proper lager chamber, just the kegerator. I would brew lagers in the open in my cold basement (50F) during winter and then just keg them up and let them sit. Sometimes this was for several months including early summer when the basement would warm up to near 70 F. Then I'd give them at least two weeks in the kegerator before tapping. Worked just fine.

Back