Lager fermenting like crazy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
So this coming Tuesday will be 4 weeks since I made an amber lager that I have sitting in a wine fridge fermenting between 46* and 48*F. I checked it a week ago and then today...the fermentation hasnt slowed at all yet...I'm getting a bubble every 9-10 seconds...my LHBS's website says that after a month I should be about 3-4 MINUTES between bubbles and then you set it out for a diacetyl rest. I'm assuming this isnt necessarily a bad thing...but I am curious about it...shouldnt it have dwindled by now?

So this coming Tuesday will be 4 weeks since I made an amber lager that I have sitting in a wine fridge fermenting between 46* and 48*F. I checked it a week ago and then today...the fermentation hasnt slowed at all yet...I'm getting a bubble every 9-10 seconds...my LHBS's website says that after a month I should be about 3-4 MINUTES between bubbles and then you set it out for a diacetyl rest. I'm assuming this isnt necessarily a bad thing...but I am curious about it...shouldnt it have dwindled by now?

Maybe- if you pitched enough yeast at the proper temperature, it should be about done by now. I'd at least consider that it's time, or past time, for the diacetyl rest. My lagers usually are in primary for 10-14 days or so.

What's the current SG?

What's the rush, are you in a hurry? Let it finish. Take a gravity reading.

Hmmm, i just fermented a 1.076 doppelbock that was at 52 deg and got down to 1.02 in about 5 days. It seemed very very fast to me, and this seems to confirm my thoughts. I pitched a pretty huge starter of W 34/70 from a Vienna lager i had just finished. They are both lagering now.

Does this seem odd to anyone?

Sorry I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a question. I just put my lager in my keezer at 42* on Sunday. It had been in the primary for 14 days around 62*. 62 was higher then I wanted, my target temp was 55. By the end of 14 days there almost no activity in the air lock. My question is, should I see any activity in the air lock when it is lagering? This is my first lager so I am learning as I go.
Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Okay ill take a reading when I get home. OG was 1.06. What do I want my SG to be for a d rest?

Seems to me I've read that you want to d-rest between 75-80% attenuation. I'm fermenting my first one now but that was the advice I received.

So I'm going to sound like a noob here...but how do I know what the FG should be so that I know when its at 75-80%

Update: was wrong...its only been two weeks not three. And I took a gravity reading today. 1.026

Back