Lager - fermenting @ 54 deg for two days, warmed up to 64, any concerns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
I started a lager on Sunday with a stable temp of about 54 deg F. Tuesday and Wednesday were slightly warmer in the garage and my ferment temp went up to 64 deg.

Am i going to have any off flavors in the beer? Im not sure how high the temp is considered for a diacetyl rest. My last lager i did was at the same ferment temp and i did a diacetyl rest at 70 for two days. Turned out fine.

*note - as of last night the beer temp is back down to 56 deg.

Just be sure to do a diacetyl rest. If the temps keep fluxuating like that, you might consider a little temperature control using a drop freezer hooked up to a temperature controller for future brews.

Heh, I'm doing the same exact thing.

Brewed my first ever lager Sunday, using the garage to cold ferment it. The first few days the strip on the side of the fermenter read 57-62F. Oh well, it might turn into more of a steam beer, but it's still a lot cooler than my ale fermentations. Lately the airlock activity has slowed/stopped and I've been holding it 50-55F by moving it inside for a few hours and back out.

How long do you let it in the primary before the diacetyl rest?

Atvar said:
Heh, I'm doing the same exact thing.

Brewed my first ever lager Sunday, using the garage to cold ferment it. The first few days the strip on the side of the fermenter read 57-62F. Oh well, it might turn into more of a steam beer, but it's still a lot cooler than my ale fermentations. Lately the airlock activity has slowed/stopped and I've been holding it 50-55F by moving it inside for a few hours and back out.

How long do you let it in the primary before the diacetyl rest?

Usually after fermentation is done. Then put it into a warmer place around 70 for a couple days then lager it at 34 for a month or more.

Back