Lager Fermentation - What to Expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamleescott

Reaction score
I've just brewed my first Lager and placed in my chest freezer at 54°f.

Now...what should I expect to see with the airlock? Will it eventually bubble as vigerously as a beer, or will it bubble very slowly? And how long should it take before it does begin to bubble and pop?

Thanks!

I've just brewed my first Lager and placed in my chest freezer at 54°f.

Now...what should I expect to see with the airlock? Will it eventually bubble as vigerously as a beer, or will it bubble very slowly? And how long should it take before it does begin to bubble and pop?

I did my first lager two weeks ago, used Saflager W34/70 and fermented at 55. Took maybe 24 hours or less before it started bubbling then ramped to very frequently, just like an ale fermentation. Stayed very active for a few days then slowed, just like an ale fermentation. I've read that other lager yeasts that require cooler fermentation temps can often bubble less vigorously. But you should see activity soon. Just be patient.

Rev.

I did my first lager two weeks ago, used Saflager W34/70 and fermented at 55. Took maybe 24 hours or less before it started bubbling then ramped to very frequently, just like an ale fermentation. Stayed very active for a few days then slowed, just like an ale fermentation. I've read that other lager yeasts that require cooler fermentation temps can often bubble less vigorously. But you should see activity soon. Just be patient.

Rev.
Ok...that's great to hear. I'm anxiously waiting for activity...it's coming up to 24 hours now!

Also, the lag time is dependent on how much you pitched. As a reminder, you typically need about 3-4 times as much yeast for a healthy ferment than you do for an ale.

Also, the lag time is dependent on how much you pitched. As a reminder, you typically need about 3-4 times as much yeast for a healthy ferment than you do for an ale.
I pitched 1 pack of liquid yeast...but I did make a starter from it first.

Hopefully it's enough [emoji2957]

The airlock is bubbling now...but if I did pitch less yeast than I should have....will that have a different effect on the fermentation?

Depending on how big your OG was, one pack with a starter could potentially not be enough. Find your favorite yeast pitching rate calculator and roll with that.

Absolutely, underpitching could affect fermentation:

Flavor - underpitching could adjust the flavor profile generated by the yeast. For example, with hefe yeast, under vs over pitching changes whether you get banana vs clove flavor. This will be strain dependent, so experience or research would be needed to determine how it affects your specific strain.

Fermentation - underpitching could cause an extended lag in fermentation start. In turn, this could open the door for nasties to grab hold and cause an infection (obviously dependent on your cleaning/sanitizing prowess). Additionally, underpitching could lead to an incomplete, or "stuck" fermentation, and you FG might not get down as low as it normally would or what the manufacturer suggests versus with an adequate amount of yeast.

I've got two carboys happily bubbling away with Wyeast 2124 in the basement. Which is now a brisk 36 degrees thanks to the vortex. This is the coldest I've ever fermented at. My standard is 48.

Back