Lager Fermentation - What is Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamleescott

Reaction score
I've just brewed my first Lager and placed in my chest freezer at 54°f.

Now...what should I expect to see with the airlock? Will it evetually bubble as vigerously as a beer, or will it bubble very slowly? And how long should it take before it does begin to bubble and pop?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lager is beer. The airlock should bubble once active fermentation begins. Sometimes lager activity is a little slower and less vigorous than warm fermented ales, but you should see it bubble nonetheless.

Expect something in 24 hours. Less if you’re lucky. Up to 72 hours before getting concerned.

If you’re using a bucket, be aware that often the lid seal isn’t perfect, and the airlock may not do much in that case.

In addition to fermentation temp, yeast choice is a factor. When I use w34/70, I get very slow bubbling, in about 24 hours. With S-189, it starts around 12 hours, and gets quite vigorous... 2-3 bubbles per second.

The lag on lager yeast is longer than ale yeast. Part of this is that you are fermenting in colder temperature. Expect the primary fermentation to take between 7-10 days. You should see some activity in your airlock in about 3 days. This depending on what was the temperature of yeast at pitching time, the yeast acts a bit faster if it goes from colder to warmer than the other way around.

How is your batch coming along?

Did you do a diacetyl rest?

Did you transfer to secondary?

Keep us posted

Cheers,

The lag on lager yeast is longer than ale yeast. Part of this is that you are fermenting in colder temperature. Expect the primary fermentation to take between 7-10 days. You should see some activity in your airlock in about 3 days. This depending on what was the temperature of yeast at pitching time, the yeast acts a bit faster if it goes from colder to warmer than the other way around.

How is your batch coming along?

Did you do a diacetyl rest?

Did you transfer to secondary?

Keep us posted

Cheers,

Thanks for your comments...

After about 48 hours I started to see some action! It was definitely a lot slower than what I've seen whilst fermenting beer for sure.

After 6 days, I followed a schedule I found online to ramp up the temp to approx 67°f in 8° increments every 12 hours. After 2 weeks, I started to take gravity measures...it got stuck at 1.022 (target was 1.015) which is taking a point off the Abv%.

Again, I followed a schedule of dropping the temp down to 37°f slowly over 12 hour increments...leaving it there now for 4 weeks.

I did not transfer to a secondary!!!!! Why should I have done that? What will happen now [emoji19]

That's all for now....looking forward to bottling and getting those puppies carbed....lagering takes along time!

Lager yeast takes a while to gets going and is a bit slower due to the temperature.

You DIDN’T use secondary “What will happen now?”!!!!
OMG the earth is going to stand still the rivers will overflow, the sun will go around the moon instead of the earth…. Nah nothing of this sort (sorry for the sarcasm)…

Everything is based on suggestions something works better than others. The myth and the legends about secondary fermentation for lagers. It removes the yeast sediment, trub, and other fermentation byproducts that may or may not cause off-flavors and or aromas.

If I may suggest that in the future, take gravity reading before raising the temperature, usually I start the diacetyl rest when is within 2 points of FG (.002 if you want to get technical) this may alleviate ABV%..

My procedure is hybrid from John Palmer How to Brew and Gregory J. Noonan New Brewing Lager Beer: The Most Comprehensive Book for Home-and Microbrewers; I take a gravity reading and when it is within 2 points of FG I start raising the temperature very slowly 2°F – 2.5°F every 12 hours trying not to exceed 5°F in 24 hours ( I have screwed this one once or twice with no major consequences). Then once it’s at the diacetyl rest temperature I let it sit there 24-48 hours. Then I transfer to secondary and slow we go to lagering temperature (same schedule as before) 2°F – 2.5°F every 12 hours trying not to exceed 5°F in 24 hours. I lager around 34°F for 3 weeks then I transfer and cold condition for another 4-6 weeks.

Like you said it takes a loooooooooong time…

Your lager is going to awesome, it’s all about the journey..

Keep us posted

Cheers,

I use 34/70 , 2 packs in 5 gallons not rehydrated . Pitch at 52 and let rise to 54. I always get activity at about 36 hours and a strong fermentation.

Back