lager crime??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
Would it be a crime to brew a pils or helles with Cali common steam lager yeast? I have neither the ability or time to do a true lager currently... Would it be a crime to lager humanity to use a steamer yeast?

Oh, the humanity!

Nope, no problems lots of people do it. If you can get the yeast to the low end of the temp spectrum, it may be surprisingly lager like.

OTOH, I really love Blondes, you might try one if you haven't before. Not a lager, but clean and delicious.

No biggie so long as you can keep the ferment temp from getting too warm. Low 60's is good. I wouldn't want to go much over 64-65 though.

Better to use an ale yeast if you can't keep it cool.

Want to make it really simple? The beers that I've done using Nottingham dry ale yeast pitched and held round 55-57*F during visible activity (then stepped up to 66*F) have turned out very lager-like. I like the clean flavor obtained by that method better than kolsch.

Nope!!! Give it a swing and if it's good...name the new style after yourself, and claim your the first one to brew it.;)

Back