Lager Conditioning Oxygen Exposure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjgarden

Reaction score
I am currently in the first week of a six week lagering/conditioning period for a pilsner that I brewed. The fermentation process went quite smooth and the pilsner is tasting nice. It is just hazy. I have racked from primary into my secondary, purging with carbon dioxide in order to prevent oxidation. The temperature of the pilsner is now resting at 35F, having been slowly brought down from 58F following a diacetyl rest. My secondary is a 6.5 gallon glass carboy which was purged with carbon dioxide prior to racking and blanketed with the same gas before being sealed.

I do not feel it necessary this early during the conditioning process to open the carboy to taste the pilsner. However, should I be concerned with any presence of oxygen in the carboy if the carbon dioxide has escaped, dissipated, or dissolved into the beer? The carboy is sealed so that no air can enter but gas can escape. Do I need to be periodically opening the carboy to blanket the pilsner with more carbon dioxide? If so, how often would you suggest?

I hate to have come this far with this pilsner only to allow it to become oxidized. It is to be served at a close friend's wedding so it is important to me that it satisfies the highest beer drinker's standards.

Thank you!
I consistently find this forum to be extremely educational and helpful. I appreciate any insight given.

I think if you purged your secondary enough you should be fine guy. If you properly locked it you should be fine guy. The only reason I replied is because I too have a lager fermenting right now, my first at that, and it's constantly on my mind. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your in the same boat, just replace and let time take is course at this point. If your brewing practices were good you should turn out a great beer. If you Don't expect anything and you'll never be let down. Good luck brotha, Cheers Dan

Thanks for the quick reply Dan. The lack of information around this topic, at least online, tells me that I should not be highly concerned. I just fear oxidation this late in the process. I feel that the best thing to do is to do nothing, and be patient. So, I will let it hang out and condition unless someone else has a suggestion to do otherwise. Again, thank you Dan, and best of luck with your lager.

Back