lady brewers...UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhoobarb said:
:off: Okay, somewhat in line with the topic, I found this to be a fun read:

6 women, 6 decades, 6 beers

What an excellent article! The author's idea of hosting a beer tasting was fantastic- like a beer focus group. One thing I've thought about is that it would be great if craft breweries could host a tasting of sorts at local markets. In my state we've been tossing around the idea of allowing people to sample beer in grocery stores. It may sound weird, but we've had some local cheese makers hand out samples of their artisanal cheeses at my corner market and it's done wonders for sales. I think that the same could be done for these craft brews- with brewers or knowledgeable folks to explain how the beer is made, what foods or occasions might best feature it, etc. Thanks for the article, Rhoobarb. :rockin:

That was an excellent article! I especially like how they mentioned the hyper-sexualization of the BMC advertising, that's always been a pet peeve of mine. I want to know about your product, not the unrealistically good looking people who you say like it!

beta pleated sheet said:
That was an excellent article! I especially like how they mentioned the hyper-sexualization of the BMC advertising, that's always been a pet peeve of mine. I want to know about your product, not the unrealistically good looking people who you say like it!

But,... but.... but that's the BEST thing about BMC. Don't take that away from us!

Seriously though, I think women might be better equipped to see through that crap so it might be a veritable gold mine for a craft brewer to targer audience based on quality product over sex appeal.

This could be your calling beta. Just remember the little guys when it all comes together for you. :rockin:

I never said it wasn't appealing. Just, it says to me, "Our product isn't good enough on its own, so we need to give you something else to remember it by" and that's pretty true.

Another thing, sometimes I feel like I'm the only female hophead. Most of the women I know tend to prefer something that's either more crisp or malty. Just wondering if I'm an anomaly here.

I'm sure Yooper will chime in again, but she's a huge hophead. Erm, that is to say, she loves hoppy beers. Not that I was implying anything else....

So no beta, you're not a beautiful and unique snowflake :D

I have a picture of me in my gallery, drunck and wearing a t-shirt that says "HOPHEAD" on it. I think every beer I've ever tried would be better with just a few more hops in it! I'm actually making other beers, trying to learn to appreciate the malty flavor of some beers, and well as learn a little about balance.

beta pleated sheet said:
Just wondering if I'm an anomaly here.

A lady hophead brewer who calls herself beta pleated sheet and you're wondering if you're an anomaly. Ya think?

YooperBrew said:
I have a picture of me in my gallery, drunck and wearing a t-shirt that says "HOPHEAD" on it. I think every beer I've ever tried would be better with just a few more hops in it! I'm actually making other beers, trying to learn to appreciate the malty flavor of some beers, and well as learn a little about balance.
I actually just ordered a "hophead" t-shirt. Mine's different, though. It's white and has a picture of hop cone.

Feel free to laugh, but now I'm starting to think that some artistic design with a hop bine might make a pretty awesome tattoo, both for looks and that deeper meaning.

What? I'm not saying I'm going to go out and do it...yet.

Well hello. I've been viewing these forums for a bit now and thought I'd add to this thread.

Yes I'm a newbie and female.

I've recently started brewing because I like a good hoppy beer and have a hard time finding a good brew here in Central Pennsylvania without travelling 15 plus miles to a decent beer distributor to buy a nice microbrew.

I just recently started brewing with a Coopers Microbrew kit (http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=8) I found on the interwebs. I have found brewing quite relaxing. And drinking the homebrew after a hard day at work even more relaxing. :mug:

I'm a Corrections Officer in a State Prison by trade and have seen a lot more of what we call "toilette wine" made in the prison by inmates that I care to recount. Which used to turn me off homebrewing,

But having read up on the subject of home brewing, I've realized that one can make a really nice brew at home with the proper tools and decided to try to homebrew myself.
:tank:

JailBreak said:
I'm a Corrections Officer in a State Prison by trade and have seen a lot more of what we call "toilette wine" made in the prison by inmates that I care to recount. Which used to turn me off homebrewing,

Welcome JailBreak! That is so cool. Next time we get a hooch making kid on the boards, we'll just turn him over to you for advice. :D

Mmmmmm pruno..... Best ingredients are orange juice and moldy bread. And for fancy red pruno, use only the best gaol ketchup packets.

And welcome to the forum, Jailbreak!

Welcome aboard, Jailbreak! I have a sister in-law from Thailand who concocted what sounds remarkably like "toilette wine" while she was living in Saudi Arabia with my brother. Alcohol is verboten there, so she made hooch out of raisins and god knows what. She's on the wagon now, but I remember the stories...:D

i just want to know when i can get all you fine females up in my brewbarn for a session?

Bou coup kudos to female brewers. Do you wish to be called Madam or Madmosielle Brewer, or as Your Royal Brewness?

Alright, I know this site is mostly populated by the dudes, but I know that I'm not the only female in these parts. Come on! Come out of hiding, chat about how us women who brew are infinitely awesome and things of that nature.

No boys allowed! :D

Sexist!

Rick:cross:

I'm Male, but I often wondered how many women are on this site as well as how many women are into beer. I cant remember the name of the site, but there is one made for females. I want to get my wife into this hobby, so I need to find some recipes that suite her taste buds! If I find it I'll send the link.
I'm a girl! I just brewed my first batch tonight: Brewers Best Kolsch

I am female and the reason I got into home brewing was due to the limited supply of micro brews where I live. I now do not need to worry about that since I brew my own. Bout the only way I could get any descent brews is to drive to Houston which is a 54 mile trip one way. Right now I am drinking a Trappist style ale which has aged for about 8 months which makes it nice and smooth. I will be bottling a Blondie Ale tomorrow and will be brewing the White House Honey Ale on Friday. I do prefer brewing all grain as oppose to extracts. To me it seems more like a true recipe, as one can bring out the best in the ingredients. I also have a spicy Christmas Ale that has been bottled since the beginning of November. Still needs a little time to meld all the spices together and mellow them out. Right now it is very prominent in the ginger. Taste like one is drinking wassail ale.

Add me to the list of female brewers. Just started in September and I'm hooked. I'm a project person so I couldn't wait to build a keezer using ideas from this forum. It turned out great. I still need to post pics. I've asked a lot of questions and the guys on this site have been awesome. (Yooper has also helped me a few times) I hope to see more women on the site and also in my LHBS. My Brew and Grow has a woman who brews, but it does seem their main business is growing equipment, and I rarely see women shopping in the brew aisles. Anyway, come on ladies, lets show the guys we can brew with the best of them!

As a girl in her twenties who has been brewing for over a year, I'm glad to see so many other women enjoying the hobby!

I'm a female brewer, 25 years old! It's nice to know there are other females on here interested in a hobby dominated by males. I've been brewing for a few years but hAve taken a short break since my husband and I are starting a family (due in 5 weeks-can't wait for my first brew!)

I am too a female and new to brewing! I am half German too, so the love of beer is in my blood. :) I was introduced from a female coworker who brewed, I helped and learned from her. I started myself in June of 2012 because I wanted a good beer for friends and family at my wedding. I brewed kits from Midwest Supplies, Hank's Hefeweizen and Honey Weizen. Now that the wedding is done, all I want to do is brew more and more. I have learned a lot from this forum.

image-1741453329.jpg

image-1499781200.jpg

image-2279316139.jpg

image-1649920038.jpg

Primary: Brewer's Best German Altbier
Secondary: Midwest Cream Stout
Bottled: 2-Midwest Honey Weizen, 3-Midwest Hank's Hefeweizen, Midwest Blonde Ale
On deck: Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel

Jess :)

Beautiful bottle and label! That looks wonderful.

Welcome to the forum. There are more women around than it seems, even if the posts seem "male" and the avatars are men. I think most women want to be seen as brewers and not "girls" in this forum. and I think we're really good at being non-sexists that way. I've always felt comfortable here, even though it was dominated by males for the longest time!

Thanks! It was a lot of work, but it paid off. I guess I haven't posted in any threads yet since I feel I don't have the experience yet and I am really new to brewing. I want to be good and know what I am talking about before I ever say anything.

Back