Lactose use after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
Hey everyone! First of all thanks for your help.

I've used a couple times lactose during a boil doing Stouts. Every time, I would add 1lb or whatever quantity directly to the boil for the last 10 minutes. That is the way I do it. I was wondering if it is possible to add lactose:

1. During cooling process
2. Right before pitching yeast
3. During fermentation
4. In secondary

I would like to know your experiences with lactose. Also, if any one knows what it actually does to the beer at each step, it would be great.

Lactose is an unfermentable sugar. I don't think it really matters when you add it provided it's sanitized. Adding it to the boil has the advantage of sanitizing it without any extra effort. That seems like the simplest approach to me. I don't think it needs to be any more complicated than that.

It matters when you add it. Just because it's unfermentable doesn't mean it's sterile. There could be bacteria just sitting on it waiting for a better food source to come along, like your wort. So it's better to be safe than sorry and add it at the end of the boil.

I think besides making it sanitary, it also dissolves it. if you just poured it into the primary, you'd have the same problem as making cold nestle quick.

I think besides making it sanitary, it also dissolves it. if you just poured it into the primary, you'd have the same problem as making cold nestle quick.

Then if you had to stir it in, you'd oxidize the beer.

I cannot think of a good reason to not add it with 10 min left in the boil.

BigFloyd said:
Then if you had to stir it in, you'd oxidize the beer. I cannot think of a good reason to not add it with 10 min left in the boil.

Like in dextrose, infections would not appear in such a dry place. But racking onto the lactose would not oxydize it. Thanks for your comments all.

Back