Lactose in the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I added lactose to the boil in the last 10 min or so. did i lose the lactose somehow? I am making an improved verison of the CCA with a few more flavors in the mid range of the flavor (dropped the crystal 60 down a bit, added some special B, a touch of munich) but after it fermented out i am left with a 1.012 in both cases(one feremnted with US-05 and the other with Wyeast German ale).

I am going to boil up a bit more lactose and add it to the keg as needed along with a bit more vanilla.

Reverend JC said:
I added lactose to the boil in the last 10 min or so. did i lose the lactose somehow? I am making an improved verison of the CCA with a few more flavors in the mid range of the flavor (dropped the crystal 60 down a bit, added some special B, a touch of munich) but after it fermented out i am left with a 1.012 in both cases(one feremnted with US-05 and the other with Wyeast German ale).

I am going to boil up a bit more lactose and add it to the keg as needed along with a bit more vanilla.

You'd lose lactose in the trub and racking loss if you boiled it in. That's why I add lactose and vanilla in the bottling bucket or straight into the keg. Lactose is non-fermentable, so you're not getting any benefit from adding it early.

That is what i figured. Crap.

Well, at any rate with the mid range flavors i added to your great recipe cheese and the vanilla it tastes like a carmely short bread. It is going to make a freaking awesome christmas beer.

Edit: once i add the lactose again that is.

I don't think you'd loose that much to trub. It is going to dissolve and you won't loose any more lactose, than that of any other component in the wort. That being said, if you are only adding a couple of ounces, then maybe I'd wait too. If you do add it to the boil though you have no worries of later contamination.

Did you taste it and make sure it was lactose, and that you didn't mistakenly add a fermentable surgar instead?

There is no problem added it later though. I'd take a sample and add known amounts of lactose to it bit by bit until you like the sweetness and then calculate how much to add to the whole lot.

Back