Lactose after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregba

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain s'mores stout, about 9% when I transferred to the secondary. Problem is it is very bitter from the unsweetened cocoa powder I used. I tested it after my gravity readings and tasted like a bitter chocolate bar.

I added 3 oz of pure vanilla extract when transferring, sampled again and still very bitter chocolate with no vanilla notes.

Can I add some additional lactose post fermentation to sweeten it up?

I figure if I boil it in about a half gallon I would lose some ABV, but would at least be adding sterile liquid.

It would definitely add some sweetness that way. If you're bottle conditioning you could just boil your priming sugar with it and combine in the bottling bucket. If you're kegging just put it in the keg before racking over.

Thanks for the reply. I already did a pound of lactose the last 10 min of the boil. Hopefully with the additional lactose and letting it sit for 6 weeks or so it will mellow out.

Latest posts

Back