Lactobacillus Fermentation: Simple vs. Complex sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesdawsey

Reaction score
Hey guys. Forgive me, but this is only tangentially a homebrew question. I have developed a great sour beer from a sourdough starter we've been using at work. However, we have not been able to make a truly sour bread out of the same starter. Do any of you scientists or otherwise have any insight into why there is such a difference between the resulting bread and the resulting beer?

Here's the deal:
the sourdough starter is 2:1 flour to water

I dumped 3 spoonfulls of this starter into a 1/2 gallon growler in place of brewer's yeast as a standard yeast starter for beer (Gravity reading = 1.045). One week later I transferred into a 1 gallon jug and dumped as much flour/dough (trashed sediment) as I could, while stepping up to a one gallon beer yeast starter.

That was about a month ago. I haven't introduced hops. It tastes better than any Berliner-Weisse I've ever had. It is very sour.

Anybody have any thoughts on how I can combine this sour flavor in our dough at work?

I'm all ears, and I'm excited about this. After so many attempts with Wyeast and White labs I've finally found a great source for yeast for my sours. But what about the bread?!?!?

P.S. - I'm no baker. I work with bakers. They're as flummoxed as I am. Even after tasting the beer side by side with the starter. Any and all suggestions/help is greatly appreciated!!!

P.P.S. - The title of the post is only an uneducated theory. My theory so far is that the lactobacillus - producing the lactic acid that is the sourness in both beer and bread - needs some simple sugars, like dry malt extract. I wonder if the complex carbohydrates in our flour is in some way inhibiting the production of acid --> sourness. Again, any and all constructive feedback would be huge!

Firstly a good sourdough bread shouldn't be really sour. Only a hint and aroma of the sourdough culture. A sourdough bread will never get really sour because by the time it does, the bacteria and yeast will have ruined the dough eating all the strach and gluten and the bread wouldn't rise. You will just have made another sourdough culture.
If you taste a good, healthy sourdough culture it should taste lactic and a little yogurt like.

the longer and slower the rise of your bread the more acidity you will get. If you are looking for that, try really over proofing the bread.

Hope this helps.

I will absolutely mention this to my bakers! Thank you!!

Thank you bob3000 for the prompt response!

Again, any and all thoughts! My bakers have been following baking forums and still have been unable to come up with a good sourdough. I'm no overseer, just a coworker who's interested.

The other breads we have are absolutely top-notch! A good sourdough will complete our line.

any thoughts about the simple vs. complex sugars theory? Please shoot it down if you've tried it and know better. I dunno...

Making a good sourdough is a tricky one.

A sourdough starter will definitely go sour and needs nothing more than flour and water to do so. If it is being refreshed regularly it won't get a chance to go sour but that is a good thing and shows the yeast is healthy. Infact it's the yeast you want to be culturing in a sourdough the lacto isn't your primary goal.

Back