Lacto Starter Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaw

Reaction score
I've been lurking forever and finally found a reason to make my first post.

I have a starter with a weak wort (1.020-1.025), like I've seen suggested. It has an airlock and has been heated to about ~90 degrees for 2.5 days. I've seen no activity whatsoever from the white labs lacto. Despite my research, I can't find a definitive answer for what a lacto starter should look like. I've heard everything from 'cloudy' to huge bulbous pellicle. Mine definitely fits the cloudy, but I expected some sort of action. Am I being paranoid here? Does anyone have experience with a successful lacto culture who could comment on what I'm seeing, or lack seeing?

Ideally you should use Glucose for your lacto starter, so next time just use simple sugars. And give it 4 days for good measure. You shouldn't see any activity as it is a different metabolic process but you can smell it. It should smell like pleasant sour green apple.

Next time you can make a sour starter from some grains. make a 1.020 grav sugar solution with about a pint of water and scoop a few tablespoons of any whole malts and keep it warm for 4 days. Your starter shouldn't smell like death but this one will as there is a mixed culture. As the PH drops it will move from death to pleasant apples, that is when you know it is ready.

I did a homemade lacto starter that worked out great. I used Morkin's method. I put a cup of crushed pale malt in a mason jar with a cup of 130 degree water. Covered with aluminum foil and let it sit for a week. When I was ready to pitch it I just used a cheap paint strainer bag to strain the liquid into a measuring cup. The culture was pretty perfect.

Mine have always just gone cloudy. Lacto takes forever to settle out, too. I usually give mine a week in the fridge before decanting the starter.

Back