Lacto Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritobandito

Reaction score
I have had zero success with getting any of my beers sour using lacto. I have used both White Labs and Wyeast lacto with and without starters. I have a heat belt and can easily keep the temperature around 100 degrees. I have been attempting to make a berliner weisse for quite some time and it just isn't working. I have one 11 month old batch and one 6 month old batch, and neither has any sourness at all. I made a lacto starter 5 days ago from a white labs lacto vial and there is nothing going on. I look at people who make lacto starters and there is a pellicle on top and even in the bucket. I was attempting to pitch the lacto into the wort and let that go until I get the sourness I want, and then boil, but there is no sourness. It just seems like it doesn't do anything at all. I'm pretty much stumped.

Lacto hates hops, did you hop the wort? Many lacto strains can't tolerate anything over 20 IBUs.

I just bottled a fast sour brown that I used lacto on, and it's plenty tart. I left hops out of half the wort, pitched lacto, and kept it for a week at 90 degrees. A small krausen formed and there was some airlock activity, but nothing major.

I have done batches with mash hopping and boiling and adding hops. Both were around 5 ibu. I even made a batch without using any hops at all, and nothing happened.

Back