Lacto Pineapple Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearljam1984

Reaction score
I wanted to post this out for any folks wanting to move into quick sours, or kettle sours. I struggled through a few batches to begin with but turned a corner some time ago. Sharing best practices and what helped me get there.

Pineapple Sour

OG 1.044 FG 1.006

5lbs White wheat
5lbs 2-Row
Held mash at 150°. Then batch sparge.

No hops- 0

Goodbelly Lacto (mango- used the whole quart)

US-05-50%
Belle Saison-50%

6lbs Frozen Pineapple mashed up

Process-
Water- no changes, used tap water.

Mashed in at 150°. Took in 6 gallons of wort at 1.044. Boiled for 10mins.

Temperature lowered to 100°, tested ph around 5.4(sample at room temp) and added 10ml of lactic acid to reduce ph down to 4.7(sample tested at room temp). then moved to stainless fermentor specifically used for lacto sours.

Once at 95°- pitched lacto goodbelly probiotic entire quart.
I put the fermenter in a warm room(78°) covered with a blanket and allowed for the wort to free fall. Didn’t Monitor temps further with room temps where they were.

After 24 hrs ph tested at 3.6/3.7.
After 36hrs ph tested at 3.3. (Pellicle had formed and was spectacular)
After 48hrs ph tested at 3.2. At this point I moved the fermenter to Temp controlled room at 65°. Pitched US-05 and Belle saison yeast.

At day 5 from brew day, gravity was at 1.010 after an active moving fermentation. Allowed for 5 more days to finish out. Gravity at day 10 was 1.008.

On day 10- While still in primary, I added 6lbs frozen(thawed) mashed pineapples into strainer bag and into the primary fermentor.

On day 17, I removed pineapple and racked to kegs. Ended up with about 4.75gallons after losses.

After 36hrs of force carbonation, ready to serve. Pineapple was the obvious up Front and heavy flavor and aroma, no “saison” feel at all. Clean yeast profile. I use the saison yeast to help get FG down low, not to try to get saison flavor.

I read (just about) every article and forum before I started kettle sours. Struggled at first to get it sour enough. Tried ultima flora probiotic capsules, couldn’t get it past high 3s for ph. Was concerned about oxygen, but in reality shouldn’t have been as it’s not an issue.

I have only been using Goodbelly since failing with the probiotic capsules. It’s so easy. Cheap. And super reliable. Set it and forget it for 48hrs. It works excellent between 73° and 95°. I don’t ever go above 95°.

If you want to leave it past 48hrs, I don’t feel it would drop much past 3.2ph, so if timing is an issue or you have to wait longer for some reason to pitch yeast, I don’t see it being an issue.

If you are trying to kettle sour with out a ph meter, do yourself a favor and stop. Go buy one. I tried using the little test strips and got results all over the place, and always not accurate. If you are trying to go off taste to see if your wort has soured, stop. The wort is just too sweet to really understand or have a feel for how sour the beer will or won’t be. Most people sour the wort and then move back to a boil to kill lacto and/or add hops. I don’t feel it’s necessary and have dedicated equipment for just lacto. I also don’t add hops in quick sours unless it’s the dry hopped variety. To me the bitterness from hops in the boil clash with sours.

For fruit I have used blackberry, raspberry, pineapple, mango and blueberries. All with success. IMO it’s better to use more than one fruit as it ads to the complexity of the finished beer. Also- use more than you think you need. You may get good coloring from the fruit, but to get great flavor you have to use a good amount. At least 1lb per gallon IMO.

Attachments

• 0FD75040-F6E7-4D13-AAAF-E5ED6D291606.jpeg
    0FD75040-F6E7-4D13-AAAF-E5ED6D291606.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
(Pellicle had formed and was spectacular)
A pellicle isn't normal for plantarum... You had a contamination of some kind.

tested ph around 5.4 and added 10ml of lactic acid to reduce ph down to 4.7.
It's generally best to pre-acidify to 4.0-4.5. Some say 4.0-4.3.
Correct for temperature if you're measuring it at 100°F.

Tried ultima flora probiotic capsules, couldn’t get it past high 3s for ph.
This is what I use. It regularly finishes around 3.1-3.3.

Awesome, good recipe!

Good info. My (random) thoughts:
  • You mentioned you didn't get any saison feel at all; that it was a clean yeast profile. One thing that would help achieve that saison feel would be co-pitching the yeast with the lacto, instead of kettle souring first, then hitting it with the sacc. This is even easier than kettle souring - you just generate wort via typical mash methods, transfer to your fermenter, then add the lacto and sacc simultaneously. If, even then, you aren't getting the saison flavor, you could do the same and pitch sacc first, and delay the lacto by 24hrs.

• I'm surprised to see you failed with capsules. Were they plantarum? To me, the capsules couldn't be easier: just open one per gallon of wort and dump the powder in.

• Good point about the oxygen during souring. A LOT of people bang that gong, but it has been shown that purging/preventing oxygen exposure isn't necessary.

A pellicle isn't normal for plantarum... You had a contamination of some kind.

It's generally best to pre-acidify to 4.0-4.5. Some say 4.0-4.3.
Correct for temperature if you're measuring it at 100°F.

This is what I use. It regularly finishes around 3.1-3.3.

Awesome, good recipe!

Interesting. I am somewhat crazy about sanitation, and I have had a pellicle every time. Oh well, no issues to this point.

My goal is to get it close to 4.5ph before pitching lacto.

On the probiotic capsules, maybe because I wasn’t able to hold the temp in the 90s I couldn’t get it low enough. They did work for me to about 3.7ph. I even waited 5 days once. But that was with room temp in the high 70s. The capsules I had were a number of lactos, one being plantarum.

On the yeast agreed, co pitching is a great idea. It takes the dry yeast a couple days to get going anyhow.

I do wonder if using the capsules, which have multiple kinds of lacto, creates more complexity in the finished beer than just using lacto plantarum?

On the probiotic capsules, maybe because I wasn’t able to hold the temp in the 90s I couldn’t get it low enough. They did work for me to about 3.7ph. I even waited 5 days once. But that was with room temp in the high 70s. The capsules I had were a number of lactos, one being plantarum.
The plantarum-only capsules should work down to 65°F or so; that's why I love them so much. If that's a route you'd like to go, I suggest using these plantarum-only ones. One capsule per gallon, provided they're not old, should do the trick. Refrigerate upon arrival.

I've never done a side-by-side of plantarum vs brevis vs other strains, so i'm not one to lend experience to flavor differences, but that'd be something i'd be very interested in reading about, if anyone ever has.

You might be hitting the ideal pH range by adding the GoodBelly. It would be interesting to measure the pH before and after after pitching it.

Maybe the capsules you used were stored too long without refrigeration.
They work fine for me souring over a few days at 70-75°F. I usually make a buffered starter.
I keep them in a fridge and they're still working after the expiration date. I also found a local store that keeps their probiotics refrigerated so I bought some there.

I do wonder if using the capsules, which have multiple kinds of lacto, creates more complexity in the finished beer than just using lacto plantarum?
From this blend I get notes of berries, lemon, melon, and peach when soured in the 70s.
One beer I soured in the 90s was more funky. I have a beer fermenting/souring now at 95°F that might be able to confirm whether that's consistent.

I'm sure different species and strains do produce different flavors to some extent.
https://phdinbeer.com/2015/04/13/physiology-of-flavors-in-beer-lactobacillus-species/

Last edited:
You might be hitting the ideal pH range by adding the GoodBelly. It would be interesting to measure the pH before and after after pitching it.

Maybe the capsules you used were stored too long without refrigeration.
They work fine for me souring over a few days at 70-75°F. I usually make a buffered starter.
I keep them in a fridge and they're still working after the expiration date. I also found a local store that keeps their probiotics refrigerated so I bought some there.

From this blend I get notes of berries, lemon, melon, and peach when soured in the 70s.
One beer I soured in the 90s was more funky. I have a beer fermenting/souring now at 95°F that might be able to confirm whether that's consistent.

I'm sure different species and strains do produce different flavors to some extent.
https://phdinbeer.com/2015/04/13/physiology-of-flavors-in-beer-lactobacillus-species/
Not sure I understand the “might” be hitting ph range with goodbelly question.

The ultima flora capsules I bought were off the shelf. Not refrigerated. Totally could have been the problem.

Great article, thanks. Also liked the info on pellicle formation. Very cool.

Not sure I understand the “might” be hitting ph range with goodbelly
I'm talking about pre-acidification. You said you pre-acidified to pH 4.7 with lactic acid. 4.7 is too high. Adding the GoodBelly possibly lowered it into 4.0-4.3ish (ideal) range, or maybe even lower.
I'm not sure how acidic GoodBelly is or how much buffering it has.

Hope this makes sense. Cheers!

Hmm yea I don’t know. All I can speak to is it being at 4.7 once the sample came to room temp in which I had no issues.

I mean lowering the ph shortens the process and helps with head retention, and I would assume helps with keeping unwanted things out, Highly recommended, but I wouldn’t ever tell someone you must do it.
I have done a batch where I didn’t pre aciditify at all. It was great and it soured, just took a couple extra days to get there. Head retention was non existent, but otherwise turned out great. If you can lower ph, yes do. If not, ok.

I have a beer fermenting/souring now at 95°F that might be able to confirm whether that's consistent.
Following up ...
It is definitely funky with a light smokey taste. I'm thinking it's from the Lacto and not the Hornindal. Interesting and tasty. I don't get these funky flavors when I use it at lower temps.

Following up ...
It is definitely funky with a light smokey taste. I'm thinking it's from the Lacto and not the Hornindal. Interesting and tasty. I don't get these funky flavors when I use it at lower temps.

I need to find a way to kee the temps at 95°. I am interested in more complexity to the lacto. And it totally makes sense that the higher temps would work that way considering temps definitely matter with regular brewing yeast.

Maybe a heated blanket would be an option.

I need to find a way to kee the temps at 95°. I am interested in more complexity to the lacto. And it totally makes sense that the higher temps would work that way considering temps definitely matter with regular brewing yeast.

Maybe a heated blanket would be an option.

Do you cook? Loaded question, but you may look into a sous vide wand (I use this one). Prior to getting the Mash&Boil I would move the wort to a carboy, put the carboy in a tub of water, and use the sous vide to hold temps. Now I just leave it in the Mash&Boil which can hold temps.

Bonus - Sous vide cooking is GOOD!

ps: We need to get @RPh_Guy in the FotHB to try some of his sours ;)

Here's a reference to quantitative change of lacto at different temps - by way of pH, not necessarily flavor profile.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Lac...acillus_strains_and_their_pH_change_over_time

In looking thru a LOT of Milk the Funk wiki, I don't see anything regarding a given strain at different temps. I'm reading between the lines with that in that it doesn't have a discernible impact. I've never heard someone reference doing different temps for different flavors - just in lactic acid producing capabilities. However, if there was something pointing towards, say, l. brevis generates more acetic acid at X°F than Y°F, i don't see how that COULDN'T affect the flavor profile. I just haven't seen anything like that.

I think I am going to brew something similar to this in about a month. It is hard to resist the draw of a pineapple sour. I think will use jalapeno to give it some balance maybe.

I will say I like the flavor of l plantarum soured beers bur I am not sure"complexity" is a term I would use for it. Pretty one-note sour to me, I just happen to enjoy that one note.

I need to find a way to keep the temps at 95
I use a FermWrap and InkBird 308.
I wrap the FermWarm around my FerMonster carboy and tape it, then I tape on the probe in a different spot (not over the heater) and insulate the probe by taping a sponge over it.
Then I make a cylinder of Reflectix and a circle to go over the top, creating a small fermentation chamber. This easily holds 95°F with a ~68°F ambient. I'm sure it would go even higher if needed.

ps: We need to get @RPh_Guy in the FotHB to try some of his sours ;)
Haha, I might do that some day. I'd love to try more homebrew as well.

I don't see anything regarding a given strain at different temps. I'm reading between the lines with that in that it doesn't have a discernible impact.
I haven't seen anything mention of this either, and I don't have enough data to definitely say that it does.

Consider these points though:

This is a pretty rare situation where I'm using a multi-species blend without killing the Lacto (boiling may remove flavor) or obscuring the flavor (e.g. adding fruit or Brett) AND I'm experimenting with different temps. Who else does this?

In such a blend it seems logical that there may be different [more funky] species active at the higher temps. Probably plantarum dominates the lower temps to create a more clean lightly fruity profile with this blend.
20180511_163729.jpg

Sorry if I've hijacked the thread too much here.
WLP644 and Hornindal both add nice pineapple flavor. Personally I don't like messing around with fruit in beer, except kriek lambic.

Here's a reference to quantitative change of lacto at different temps - by way of pH, not necessarily flavor profile.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Lac...acillus_strains_and_their_pH_change_over_time

In looking thru a LOT of Milk the Funk wiki, I don't see anything regarding a given strain at different temps. I'm reading between the lines with that in that it doesn't have a discernible impact. I've never heard someone reference doing different temps for different flavors - just in lactic acid producing capabilities. However, if there was something pointing towards, say, l. brevis generates more acetic acid at X°F than Y°F, i don't see how that COULDN'T affect the flavor profile. I just haven't seen anything like that.
I have never read anything supporting predicted changes based on temps that the lacto is held at. Just think it would be an interesting idea or trial.

As for plantarum, I do believe plantarum vs other lacto(brevis or others) would create perceived changes in flavor. IMO plantarum does not have much complexity really, it’s straight forward.

I have tried multiple yeasts after souring trying to get different tastes and flavors from it, but not seen a ton of difference. (S04,S05, Imperial A15, A20, A24, A38, Belle Saison, 644)

Last edited:
I have tried multiple yeasts after souring trying to get different tastes and flavors from it, but not seen a ton of differe
As Garrett mentioned earlier, acid greatly suppresses yeast flavor, as seen by the lack of saison flavor in your recipe here with Belle.
BTW I really like that you used it just to increase attenuation.

If you want yeast flavor, you can pitch plantarum AFTER giving the yeast a chance to ferment. For example with WLP644 (at 70°F) I'll pitch Lacto on day 2-3 and with Hornindal (at 95°F) I'll pitch Lacto at 12 hours.

Last edited:
As Garrett mentioned earlier, acid greatly suppresses yeast flavor, as seen by the lack of saison flavor in your recipe here with Belle.
I really like that you used it just to increase attenuation.

If you want yeast flavor, you can pitch plantarum AFTER giving the yeast a chance to ferment. For example with WLP644 (at 70°F) I'll pitch Lacto on day 2-3 and with Hornindal (at 95°F) I'll pitch Lacto at 12 hours.
How long does it take to sour and how sour does it get if you are waiting until day 3 post pitch to add lacto?

It still sours in a matter of days at 70°F. The yeast doesn't seem to affect it.

This probiotic blend generally reaches 3.1-3.3. It's well past expiration (I've had it a long time) so it's hitting more around 3.3 nowadays.
Before pitching yeast I pull off 500mL wort for a buffered Lacto starter.

Dry hopping is an easy way to halt the souring (~0.5oz per 5 US gal) if you don't want it that low.

Cheers

Back