Lacto dropped the PH far too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holy_Grail_Reference

Holy_Grail_Reference
Reaction score
Lacto dropped the PH in my kettle to 2.6 after it got away from me. I am heating to kill but can I add anything to take away a bit of the sour without it tasting chemically? I am currently a foot and a half away, the kettle is covered with a lid, and I am getting the occasional sour smell. Will fermentation help to even it out a bit?

2.6 is very unlikely.
I'm guessing there's some issue with your test strips or pH meter.

How did you measure it? Test strips are highly unreliable. Did you calibrate the meter? Two point calibration? Is the calibrate solution new/unused, and at room temp? Was the sample of wort at room temp? Do you store the probe correctly, keeping it submerged in storage solution?

More details :)

You may be interested in a more modern method of making sour beer:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/

Cheers

2.6 is very unlikely.
I'm guessing there's some issue with your test strips or pH meter.

How did you measure it? Test strips are highly unreliable. Did you calibrate the meter? Two point calibration? Is the calibrate solution new/unused, and at room temp? Was the sample of wort at room temp? Do you store the probe correctly, keeping it submerged in storage solution?

More details :)

You may be interested in a more modern method of making sour beer:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/

Cheers

I do use a digital and I used the 6.5 solution and the 4.0 solution. I too thought it was an issue with the meter but it has never failed me before. I am in the boil now so I suppose I can take another reading at the end.

Yep, just used the co-pitching method and worked a treat!!!

Re reducing souring, if you haven't pitched yeast yet any chance you can make new wort and blend, would that work at all?

I think I may make another non-lacto batch and just 50 50 blend next week sometime

Sorry, I should have asked more specifically.
You calibrated the meter today?

Also
Proper storage is very important for accurate readings.
The reading temperature is important as well. If your meter has ATC then no worries.
The reading is only as accurate as your calibration solutions, so if they're off somehow then the reading won't be accurate.

I would calibrate it again and check after the boil and chilling. If it's still off, I would get new calibration solution. Do you mix it yourself? Are you using DI water?
The 2.6 just isn't realistic. Something went wrong with the measurement.

Anyway, to answer your original question, the most reasonable way to reduce sourness is by blending, as @deeve007 alluded.
However I don't think that will be needed.

If you know how much you overshot the lactic acid, for practical purposes, 1 gram of baking soda effectively neutralizes 1 mL of 88% lactic acid.

If you know how much you overshot the lactic acid, for practical purposes, 1 gram of baking soda effectively neutralizes 1 mL of 88% lactic acid.
Neutralizes the pH, not the flavor.

You can still taste the sodium lactate and it is still sour.

I agree. - pH is likely not that low. Many meters simply aren't that good, I know I put little faith in mine.

Which Lacto strain? The thing about many Lacto species is that they're self-limiting. That is, the acidic environment they create is toxic to them, muck like alcohol is toxic to yeast. I'd be surprised to learn that the pH is as low as 3.0.

Back