Lactic vs Phosphoric acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I know any answer could quickly go way over my head, but and trying to learn about water for my brews and have seen things like ez water and some online calculators that help get water where it needs to be. One question, I have seen lactic acid listed in calculators to adjust pH down, of course I bought phosphoric acid. In these calculators can will the numbers for phosphoric acid be close to lactic acid or is there too big of difference for any accuracy (only lactic acid is listed in the calculators). The strength of the acids are the same (88%).

Lactic acid at 88% w/w is about 11.5 N which means that each mL of it produces 11.5 mEq of protons. Phosphoric acid at 88% w/w is about 15.1 N meaning that phosphoric acid is, per mL, the stronger acid. This assumes that the acids are both being used to bring mash pH to 4.5.

The main reason for choosing one over the other is that phosphoric acid is very neutral in taste compared to lactic acid which has a pretty strong, but often desirable, flavor.

Thanks for the info. I did choose phosphoric acid over lactic because of the neutralness. I have only used it once and it looked like a little goes a long way. I have read in other posts that said other things like levels of calcium can impact phosphoric acid so I know its not a simple or straightforward conversion. I do appreciate the info and the data you provided. I have a brew in a week or so and will keep working at the water side of things.

Thanks again

Back