Lacking mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellyglove

Reaction score
I've noticed my beers have taken a wrong turn lately. They seem to lack body. They are ending up thin and are lacking in maltiness.

I have three examples fresh in memory. First off. I'm hitting the same numbers as before. OG/FG are where they should. So it's not about to high attenuation. The attenuation is right where I want it.

I have two variables I want to investigate first. #1 is overpitching #2 is overoxygenating (pure O2 with 0.5 micron stone)

Beer #1. Standard APA. Grist should leave a whole lot more malt flavor and mouthfeel.

#2 Some pitch black thing. Getting some of that roast, but the main backbone is not there.

#3 Bavarian hefe. Recipe from the NB-forum (the paulaner clone). Thin.

#1 & 2 was with my us05 house strain. Over pitched and maybe overoxy'ed. About 1min oxy.

If it was for just these two I'd say I would had it narrowed down. But.

#3 was with 3068 from a starter, and not to much oxy since I was afraid I'd lose to many esters. Also did a rest at 44c for 10 min before carrying on.

I want to leave out water chemistry at first.

My efficiency is 78% for these kind of beers.

Where else should I look?

Double check your temperature probe. Sounds like low mash temps, I make most of my beers 152 or above, as lower on my system makes for thin crappy beers.

Double check your temperature probe. Sounds like low mash temps, I make most of my beers 152 or above, as lower on my system makes for thin crappy beers.

I'm quite the nazi (without the mentality or uniform) when it comes to water volumes and temps. All my probes are calibrated after several thermometers where the thermapen has the last word.

If the temps would be off I should be getting higher attenuation.

#2 was mashed for an hour at 152.6 and 10 minutes at 161.6

Back