Lacking cinnamon flavor in a wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I brewed up an all-grain batch of Apple Cinnamon wheat from Adventures in Homebrewing. I used Wyeast 1010. The recipe called for the addition of 1 cinnamon stick added with (5 or 10 - can't remember which now) minutes remaining in the boil. When I strained my wort, the stick stayed in the strainer - it did NOT go into the primary. When I took my gravity reading (now it's 1.010 so the fermentation is done) I didn't really pick up any cinnamon flavor/aroma. So, I'd like to add some now. I have some ground cinnamon. Should I mix up like a teaspoon with a few ounces of boiling water, cool it and add it to the beer? Would you suggest adding another stick to the beer? The beer is a good wheat, but not a good cinnamon wheat. Normally when I add spices I add them at the end of the boil with good results, but not so much this time around.

No way one cinnamon stick at the end of boil would be enough. Yes you can just do like you mentioned, should work perfectly fine. There's many ways to do it. Like you mentioned you can make a tea then add it, you really don't even need to cool it as a few ounces of near boiling water won't really raise the temp of nearly 5 gallons of cold beer. You can also crush (don't grate) a few sticks and soak them in a neutral spirit like vodka for a few days then strain and add the vodka to the keg - that's what I'm doing for my Imperial Spicy Pumpkin Stout. Btw, the reason I say crush is cause my first go I mostly grated the sticks which was laborious and made the cinnamon into a powder which sucked up so much vodka that then wouldn't easily squeeze out. So going forward I'm crushing the spices so as to not make it into a fine powder.

Rev.

Back