Lack of Carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghost24

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have been browsing this forum for a few months and have found it very useful in my adventures as a new Homebrewer. Thank you all for the help you've provided to me and many others.
With that said, I am now finally writing here for the first time seeking your help.
I have brewed a few batches but have now come up with an issue - lack of carbonation from the bottled beer.
The beer in question now is a Jalapeño Cream Ale (All Grain Kit) my wife gifted me for Christmas.
The Kit required a 6.5 gallon boil but unfortunately I only have a 5 gallon pot.
So I used BeerSmith in order to scale down the recipe in the kit.
I followed all the steps and got all the right levels as far as OG and FG.
I use a 10 gal Igloo cooler as the MashTun, get a steady temp hold and vorlauf first runnings.

All the peppers were roasted first and peeled before adding them to the boil.

I also used a rib cage wort chiller and cooled the wort down to 70F in around 11 minutes.
Pitched the decanted yeast I had made a 2L starter with (didn't know at the time you don't need a starter for dry yeast) at the same temp 70F, and noticed a very good fermentation on the second day.
After 4 days in primary, racked into secondary glass carboy for another 10 of fermenting.
After that, I Primed with Corn Sugar and bottled in 48 very clean and sanitized (StarSan) 12 oz bottles.

So… although I am supposed to wait the 30 days suggested from BeerSmith, I have had ales that only primed in bottles for two weeks and tasted very good + had good carbonation. Unfortunately, I’m not getting the same experience with my own beer.
After two weeks in the bottles, I tried one to see how things were going. The beer was almost flat, light bodied and a little too hot (peppers).
The “heat” I could take. Kinda liked it even. But the lack of carbonation was killing me.
I had followed all the instructions and topped off the primary ferm bucket with 1.80 gal of sterilized spring water to get around 5 gal worth of beer.

Now I’m starting to get worried that the water I’m adding may be the cause for the light body in the beer and possibly the lack of carbonation, but would like your opinion.
Or is it that I just need to wait an extra couple of weeks to get the right carbonation?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Here is the recipe I used for a 5 gallon batch as well as days and temps, etc.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.10 gal
Boil Size: 4.75 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 4.21 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.70 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Date: 30 Dec 2013

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Bitterness: 10.1 IBUs
Est Color: 7.8 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz

Mash:
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Sparge Water: 1.19 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash In:
Add 5.25 gal of water at 159.5F

Step Temp:
148.0F

Carbonation:
Carbonation type - Bottle
Pressure/Weight - 4.20oz
Bottling Temp - 70.0F
Fermentation - Ale, Two Stage
Volumes of CO2 - 2.5
Carbonation Used - Bottled with 4.20 oz of Corn Sugar
Age for 30 days
Storage Temp - 70.0F

1.00 tsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins)
0.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins)
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
1 lbs Honey Malt (Gambrinus) (25.0 SRM)
1 lbs Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett)
0.50 oz Saaz [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min
5.00 Items Jalapeno Pepper (Boil 60.0 mins)
2.00 Items Poblano Pepper (Boil 60.0 mins)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.25 oz Saaz [6.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min
5.00 Items Jalapeno Pepper (Boil 15.0 mins)
2.00 Items Poblano Pepper (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.25 oz Saaz [6.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min
2.0 pkg Safale American - US-05

Notes:
Primary Ferm - 12/31/2013
OG: 1,062
Ferment for 4 days @ 70F
Adjusted OG: 1,063

Secondary Ferm - 1/4/2014
Gravity Reading: 1,018
Ferment for 10 Days @ 70F

1/14/2014
Priming and Bottle @72F
Final Gravity: 1,012
Adjusted FG: 1,013

If you used 4.2 oz of corn sugar in a 5 gallon batch (it looks like that in your recipe), the beer will carb up! I assume that the priming sugar was dissolved in some boiling water and stirred well into the water, and the beer racked into that? If so, it will be fine.

Put a few in the warmest place in your house (my house is freezing right now!), like on top of the fridge, for a week or so, then chill one and try it. It must just be a little cool where you're trying to carb them and they'll come around.

If you used 4.2 oz of corn sugar in a 5 gallon batch (it looks like that in your recipe), the beer will carb up! I assume that the priming sugar was dissolved in some boiling water and stirred well into the water, and the beer racked into that? If so, it will be fine.

Put a few in the warmest place in your house (my house is freezing right now!), like on top of the fridge, for a week or so, then chill one and try it. It must just be a little cool where you're trying to carb them and they'll come around.

Thanks for the reply!:)
I did dissolve the priming sugar in boiling water and racked the beer on top of it in the primary.
Primary, Secondary and bottles have been inside the house at a room temp between 70F and 72F.
I will however increase the room temp to 73 later tonight and wait a couple more weeks as you suggested.
I gotta say... brewers are the most patient people in the world, for sure! HaHa!

Okay, first, you used 4.2 oz of corn sugar and you absolutely had 4.7 gallons to bottle? Just want to be sure.

Even so, say you only had 4.5 gallons or something like that, I would say that 4.2 should be fine. How are you adding your priming sugar? Do you boil it in a cup or two of water and then pour into your bucket?

With exception of my last two bottled batches, I always started racking beer into the bottling bucket then added some of the sugar solution (boiled) to the bucket, let more beer fill the bucket, and added the rest. Gave it a literal one swirl with a spoon and called it a day. Haven't had a problem. But I got feedback from a competition on my beer that my stout was over carbonated. This time I racked my beer to the bucket to get the actual amount of measured beer to bottle then added my sugar and tried to give it a couple gentle swirls. I can't tell you how well it worked because that was just last saturday.

That being said, it is important to know how you added your priming sugar. Also, where are the bottles and what is the temp of the room? Does the temp fluctuate drastically? I leave mine inside my living room or my pantry, temp it 66-70 usually in the winter. Typically I read 68 on a thermometer pretty steadily. I get carbonation within a couple of weeks, exception being a malty amber that took 4 weeks to even kick off.

Part of me wonders if you truly just need to wait another 2 weeks like I had to with the amber. The amber, though I am not a fan of it (designed for someone who hates bitter beer), is finally showing the proper level of carb now after being bottled Dec 10th. Again, no reason that I can tell for the slowness except that it wanted to be a little ***** or something. :)

tl;dr, I think you should be okay as long as the priming solution was mixed just enough and the bottles are kept around room temp. I would check back in a week and take a bottle from another space in your box (assuming it's in a box). If you're like me, bottles are placed in the box pretty much in a general order that they were filled. I write 1st and last on the appropriate bottles and I try to check carbonation from various places to test to see if I have a random gusher. It is not fool proof, but it's an idea.

Sorry for my ramble. I enjoy hearing myself type. :eek:

edit: you answered all my questions while I was rambling so I would do what Yooper said.

Okay, first, you used 4.2 oz of corn sugar and you absolutely had 4.7 gallons to bottle? Just want to be sure.

Even so, say you only had 4.5 gallons or something like that, I would say that 4.2 should be fine. How are you adding your priming sugar? Do you boil it in a cup or two of water and then pour into your bucket?

With exception of my last two bottled batches, I always started racking beer into the bottling bucket then added some of the sugar solution (boiled) to the bucket, let more beer fill the bucket, and added the rest. Gave it a literal one swirl with a spoon and called it a day. Haven't had a problem. But I got feedback from a competition on my beer that my stout was over carbonated. This time I racked my beer to the bucket to get the actual amount of measured beer to bottle then added my sugar and tried to give it a couple gentle swirls. I can't tell you how well it worked because that was just last saturday.

That being said, it is important to know how you added your priming sugar. Also, where are the bottles and what is the temp of the room? Does the temp fluctuate drastically? I leave mine inside my living room or my pantry, temp it 66-70 usually in the winter. Typically I read 68 on a thermometer pretty steadily. I get carbonation within a couple of weeks, exception being a malty amber that took 4 weeks to even kick off.

Part of me wonders if you truly just need to wait another 2 weeks like I had to with the amber. The amber, though I am not a fan of it (designed for someone who hates bitter beer), is finally showing the proper level of carb now after being bottled Dec 10th. Again, no reason that I can tell for the slowness except that it wanted to be a little ***** or something. :)

tl;dr, I think you should be okay as long as the priming solution was mixed just enough and the bottles are kept around room temp. I would check back in a week and take a bottle from another space in your box (assuming it's in a box). If you're like me, bottles are placed in the box pretty much in a general order that they were filled. I write 1st and last on the appropriate bottles and I try to check carbonation from various places to test to see if I have a random gusher. It is not fool proof, but it's an idea.

Sorry for my ramble. I enjoy hearing myself type. :eek:

edit: you answered all my questions while I was rambling so I would do what Yooper said.

Hello, Hello!
Thanks for the reply.
Yup. Priming sugar added correctly, stirred in evenly and bottled. Bottles kept in my living room as well at + or - 71F. Temps have been kept pretty steady.
I am going to use your idea for marking the bottles in my next batch. Very cool.
And yes, I think I'm just going to have to wait this one out.
I was just worried that the "Top Off" was ruining my beer/watering it down.
I can't wait until I get the complete Electric System (Kal) I'm planning on getting later this year.
Thanks again for the reply.
If anyone else notices an error or anything in my initial post, please feel free to chime in.

One thing that I noticed with this cold weather lately is that my floors and walls are even colder than the room temperature so it could simply be that your beer is cool and will take longer to carb up. If you can put just a few in a warmer place (on top of fridge, cupboard above stove), you might get them carbed up a bit faster and at least have a few to sample while you patiently wait for the others!

One thing that I noticed with this cold weather lately is that my floors and walls are even colder than the room temperature so it could simply be that your beer is cool and will take longer to carb up. If you can put just a few in a warmer place (on top of fridge, cupboard above stove), you might get them carbed up a bit faster and at least have a few to sample while you patiently wait for the others!

Actually, I do have the bottles in boxes on the floor! So you're probably right as far as the temp difference inside the room. I'm definitely moving them to a "higher ground" later today and wait a couple more weeks. Good call! Thanks!

I just wished I hadn't place 6 of the bottles in the fridge for 24 hours before popping one open and finding out they were not ready.
Would it be o.k. to place the remaining, now cold bottles back into a warm room temp? Or should I just leave them there for a very long lagering period?

I know it's not a big loss if I need to dump them, but when you only have 2 cases of these, each bottle has more value to me. So if there's a way to even salvage 5 bottles, I'm all ears/eyes.
Thanks again in advance.

Definitely bring them back in. You didn't hurt the beer, the colder temp is just making it so the yeast are dormant (not dead!) and not eating the priming sugar.

Definitely bring them back in. You didn't hurt the beer, the colder temp is just making it so the yeast are dormant (not dead!) and not eating the priming sugar.

Great news! Thank you for the info.
Definitely bringing them back in now.

A trick I learned here and believe in is refrigerate 3-4 days before drinking if possible. It will help get the CO2 from the headspace absorbed in the beer, giving you better carbonation.

A trick I learned here and believe in is refrigerate 3-4 days before drinking if possible. It will help get the CO2 from the headspace absorbed in the beer, giving you better carbonation.

Thanks Paradingbull!
I'll give that a shot as well.
So far I haven't read any comments as far as the recipe or steps I took so hopefully all is right in those areas.
I was really mostly concerned with the water I added into the primary to reach a quantity of 5 gallons.
I was thinking that it was both watering down my beer as well as cause other issues.
I can't wait until I have a decent setup in order to avoid having to add extra water.
At the moment I have moved the bottled beer into a closed room at 75F, where they sit 2 feet above the ground to prevent different temps.
Unfortunately this room never gets good heat from the house so I placed a space heater which only allows either 70F or 75F. I chose the later.
I will keep them this way for another two weeks and then refrigerate the 2 to 3 days you mentioned.
Thanks again for all the help guys!
Really loving the whole process. Speed bumps and all.

Latest posts

Back