Kveik yeast on eBay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusso

Reaction score
I picked up some packs from an eBay seller. Until now, I've only used a few different liquid strains and the dry Lalbrew kveiks. Anybody used these? I might give one of them a try tomorrow.

I decided to brew today instead. I picked the weirdest of the lot, the Espe. Let's see if the description is correct (warm alcohol, plums, cognac, and floral).

Not looking good so far. When using Kveik it's usually roaring away by now. I pitched about 16 hours ago and there's no sign of fermentation.

Hi Gusso, I used a few strains from this guy and I know another ebay seller personally (yeasterbunny) and also used his products.
I suggest you to take the half of the package and make a starter (my preferance is 700 ml with 1.060 SG) out of it, then cold crash, and dry the slurry in a parchment paper in room temp or in your oven with only the lights on. You will get 7-11 g of dry yeast depending the strain and using 2 g in a 5 gal batch will be more than enough. With this method I never had a spoiled beer and I can say I tried at least 8 strains by far (and having 10 others waiting for me haha).
Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi Gusso, I used a few strains from this guy and I know another ebay seller personally (yeasterbunny) and also used his products.
I suggest you to take the half of the package and make a starter (my preferance is 700 ml with 1.060 SG) out of it, then cold crash, and dry the slurry in a parchment paper in room temp or in your oven with only the lights on. You will get 7-11 g of dry yeast depending the strain and using 2 g in a 5 gal batch will be more than enough. With this method I never had a spoiled beer and I can say I tried at least 8 strains by far (and having 10 others waiting for me haha).
Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll try that out sometime.

I didn't have room in my kegerators so I just put a faucet on the keg to try this out. Pretty damn good and complex. Very different than any Kveik I've used before. I get fig, honey, and slight farmhouse flavors. Very interesting yeast. Kind of a mild Belgian profile.

Once you've tried and dried them all, you can start blending!
Unfortunately, I didn't dry the Espe from the get go (as suggested earlier). I guess I could still use the slurry and give it a go. Definitely a yeast I would use again.

Btw, don't think I mentioned it, fermented under pressure. So I was drinking immediately!

Just dry the slurry that's what I did from my first Kveik and froze it after drying. Followed the David Heath Tutorial.
Yes I ferment mine under pressure as well. Not too much pressure or none at all at the start if I want yeast expression, but high pressure from the off if I want clean ferment and little expression and also always fermented hot at about 35 celsius.

I didn't have room in my kegerators so I just put a faucet on the keg to try this out. Pretty damn good and complex. Very different than any Kveik I've used before. I get fig, honey, and slight farmhouse flavors. Very interesting yeast. Kind of a mild Belgian profile.

Maybe this one would be good in a mead too!

Still in garage fridge with tap but better lighting on this one. Such a smooth mouthfeel. Head would be nicer in one of my kegerators, though...

Back