Kveik NEIPA w/ Cryo Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden123982

Reaction score
Brewed a NEIPA on Memorial Day using a kveik blend from Imperial yeast. Process and recipe below. I'll be posting results in the coming weeks as well

Grist:
Pale ale 9.5#
Chit 2.5#
F. Oats 2.25#
Acid 0.25#
Rice hulls added to mash

Mashed @ 150

Hops (full leaf):
Columbus 0.5 oz - 30 mins
Amarillo 3 oz - 180F, 10 mins
Simcoe 3 oz - 180F, 10 mins
Ekuanot 3 oz - 180F, 10 mins
Columbus 2 oz - 180F, 10 mins

OG: 1.059
Pitched kveik blend at 95F. At ~14 hour mark, added dry hops (high krausen for this yeast)

Dry hop:
Ekuanot cryo 1 oz
Simcoe cryo 1 oz

Kveik ripped through the beer. I forgot to mention I only pitched a teaspoon of yeast slurry. In total it was 6 days grain to glass and the beer is tasting great already. Waiting for a little more dry hop to clear out which I think will cut out some of the bitter bite

Ferment was done between 48-60 hours. The cryo's sat in from Tues-Sun, so ended up being a 5d dry hop

Pics and tasting to come

Really happy with how this beer is shaping up. 9 days since brewing and it’s tasting pretty good considering just 2 days ago it was sitting with a bunch of hop powder. Aroma is heavy with tropical fruits maybe more so on a ripe papaya side of things. Flavor is still a little muddled from the recent dry hop with some bite going on but I’m getting ripe pineapple and some of the orange marmalade character I had from the last time I used kveik. I may stick with this recipe in future rotations or change it up a little to drop some of the bitterness if that doesn’t fade (but I’m thinking it will)

Pics!
upload_2019-6-4_21-0-5.jpeg

upload_2019-6-4_21-0-29.jpeg

Brewed a NEIPA on Memorial Day using a kveik blend from Imperial yeast. Process and recipe below. I'll be posting results in the coming weeks as well

Grist:
Pale ale 9.5#
Chit 2.5#
F. Oats 2.25#
Acid 0.25#
Rice hulls added to mash

Mashed @ 150

Hops (full leaf):
Columbus 0.5 oz - 30 mins
Amarillo 3 oz - 180F, 10 mins
Simcoe 3 oz - 180F, 10 mins
Ekuanot 3 oz - 180F, 10 mins
Columbus 2 oz - 180F, 10 mins

OG: 1.059
Pitched kveik blend at 95F. At ~14 hour mark, added dry hops (high krausen for this yeast)

Dry hop:
Ekuanot cryo 1 oz
Simcoe cryo 1 oz

Hey! I am about to make a neipa with kveik but I am a bit confused on the dry hop schedule. I was thinking about 7.5 g x L with 20% at pitch and the rest after day 3 (or just when fermentation is done), how did you do it? Also, what was your FG? can this yeast make over attenuation easy? THANKS!

Hey! I am about to make a neipa with kveik but I am a bit confused on the dry hop schedule. I was thinking about 7.5 g x L with 20% at pitch and the rest after day 3 (or just when fermentation is done), how did you do it? Also, what was your FG? can this yeast make over attenuation easy? THANKS!

I've used this yeast about 5 times now and end about 1010-1012 each time. As far as the dry hop schedule, I just did all at high krausen which is about 12 hours after pitch for Kveiking. If I were to do a dual dry hop schedule, I would probably do 12 hours post pitch then on day 2-3.

Your dry hop rate looks good, I used cryo hops which was why mine was so low. The hop bite did end up dropping out for this beer after about 5-7 days in the keg (about 2 weeks after dry hopping)

I've used this yeast about 5 times now and end about 1010-1012 each time. As far as the dry hop schedule, I just did all at high krausen which is about 12 hours after pitch for Kveiking. If I were to do a dual dry hop schedule, I would probably do 12 hours post pitch then on day 2-3.

Your dry hop rate looks good, I used cryo hops which was why mine was so low. The hop bite did end up dropping out for this beer after about 5-7 days in the keg (about 2 weeks after dry hopping)

Thanks for the reply! one more thing, when you are making your recipie with kveik, are you getting the numbers you calculate on Beersmith (or any software) or you have to calculate a higher FG to get what you want? Basically, are you mashing around 67-68? with what OG more or less? My concern comes because I brewed to batches of neipas with WLP067 and it went down like 5 points from the estimate in both cases mashing at 64 (double neipa) and 65 for a new england pale. I figured I had to mash higher then for that yeast as it really attenuates like crazy. However, I was thinking that kveik maybe acts the same way or not?

With the kveiking blend, it is not a crazy attenuator. I’ve been mashing near 65-67 and maybe had 2 pt deviations between those batches (but different grists as well)

`thanks man, appreciate it .. yeah i will be using it for a neipa in about a week or so .. just not sure if making 1 single hop charge at 12 hours or make it double. Do you let the beer condition a bit or grain to glass in 5 days?

This one was a grain to glass in about 5-7 but it really came to be its best at about the 2 week mark. Let me know how you like the yeast. It pretty fun to pitch such small amount and let it rip at high temps

Cool, yeah we'll see how it turns out. I live in Peru so its a pain in the ass to handle yeast. They only sell dry yeast here .. whenever I go to the states or have someone go i try to bring yeast in an insulated thing and then start reproduction here for my batches. Its annoying but worth the hustle. Have you brewed with wlp067?

I haven’t, but have used the imperial dry hop once before which made a pretty awesome citrusy IPA. I have only used it once though and have been meaning to go back to it... maybe I will this weekend... doing a SMaSH brew and was originally thinking about using imperial’s joystick

Back