Kreezer Collars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verde956

Reaction score
I'm building a 6 tap Kreezer out of a 15CU FT Chest Freezer. Is it better to attach the collar to the lid or the chest? What are the pros and cons of each?
Thanks

Definitely to the chest. Lid stays light but you have to lift kegs higher. I would wager that if you fastened it to the lid it would pull free after you opened it a few times. It's also not going to stand open for you to put legs in or out.

I attached a collar to the lid on my first freezer (by the way, the term is keezer which is a combo of keg and freezer). I was able to tighten the hinge springs just tight enough to hold the lid open until I added one more faucet. It was a lot more work than attaching the collar to the body, which is why I went that way on my last project.

I attached the collar to the freezer. It's kind of a pain lifting kegs carryfully over the collar, especially if you've already had a few beers. BUT well worth the effort in the end. Good luck with your build!

I put foam insulation tape around the edge of the freezer and then i rest the collar on that. The collar is not attached to the freezer so if i need to i can easily pull it off without undoing any lines. that way i can reach all the way into the bottom of the freezer when needed.

Hadn't considered I will research
Tx

Hi

With a normal 15 cubic foot freezer, you don't need the height a collar gives you to get the kegs in. The size of the hump is pretty small compared to the overall size, so you can give up a little space there.

The tower is nice since the taps are at serving height and they are out of the way. No bumping into things and getting beer all over the floor.

Build wise they can be very simple. I think they actually are easier than a collar to build.

Bob

Interesting. Fixes my drip tray conundrum. Took a quick look. Is cooling and air circulation a problem

Interesting. Fixes my drip tray conundrum. Took a quick look. Is cooling and air circulation a problem

Hi

Very much fixes the drip tray issue and the bump the tap handle while walking by issue as well.

Cooling the tower with a computer fan is quite easy. You want a fan inside the freezer weather you have a collar or a tower anyway. Running two fans off a wall wart isn't any harder than running one fan. I run four fans in mine (two in the freezer and two in the tower). That's likely overkill, but still easy to do.

For mine, I just do a plywood top with paint, and a very simple box for the tower. All the big cuts get done on the saw at Lowes for free.

Bob

Bob

Back