Kreausen after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty

Reaction score
Just bottled an India brown ale that was well over target OG. Hit 1.076 (planning for 1.065) Pitched Safale 05 in primary for 9 days hit 1.012. Dont have a secondary fermenter yet so i went ahead an bottled with plans to condition for an extended period because of this.

So i just checked the suspension in the bottles because ive had good luck with the 05 conditioning in 3 days. I noticed that there were two bottles with what looked like had a secondary kreausen in the bottle. Several bottles have alot of sediment in the bottom.

Is this a problem or should i just let them set for a few weeks before checking one.

Thanks

Rock Chalk
Chris

Should leave it for a few weeks to let it clear and ensure it is finished before bottling.

Bottling early will result in lots of sediment.

If you see "krausen" in the bottles you may have an infection. If it looks like there is a film in the neck of the bottle?? That happened to me once and it was an infection and I have heard that is a tell tale sign of infections that judges look for before they open bottles

Thanks for the help. Sorry i didn't reply sooner but i just figured out that it was a second kreausen. Apparently that bottle got a little extra priming sugar. I got a call today at work from my wife that went something like this. "Hey Dumb A$$. One of your bottles just exploded in the basement." I come home to 1/2 a 12oz shot across the room and IBA all over the wall and floor. I feel this may be a compelling argument to move into Kegging for fathers day.

Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris

Back