Krausening a Cali Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cervid

Reaction score
I brewed a Cali Common with some new equipment and although my numbers were on, I was about a gallon short in the fermenter. So, I figured this might be a good time to try krausening this batch.

In Daniels book I recall that traditionally, Steam Beer was krausened at a rate of 15-40% of the starting volume before it begins it's conditioning phase. He also talks bout the extreme pressure that would build up.

I'm considering doing a mini mash around maybe 145, with the same ingredients scaled. As everyone knows, anchors fermentation schedule is a secret, but it is also known that they start around 140 and go up. So, my original mash was at 150 and I figured doing this small batch at 145 would help dry it out a little. I figured a half gallon would be plenty, mainly because I don't want to buy a spunding valve and gauge to avoid creating too much pressure in the keg.

Anyway, my question is the boil... I don't think I need to do all the same hop additions and boil length. I was just going to boil it until the hot break and cool it and pitch. .5 gallons to a 4-4.5 gallon batch is only 10-13% and even when it lowers my IBU's by that amount it's still well in range for the style. At this rate I also don't have to worry about the keg getting massive pressure.

Does that seem reasonable?

Back