Krausen with no bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA (OG 1.063) on Friday night and and pitched a smack pack of London Ale III. Since then I have seen zero air lock activity. I know it can take a while to start, so out of curiosity I opened the lid and did see krausen so something is happening. For the life of me I can't figure out why the airlock isn't bubbling though. I've reseated the lid, airlock, etc, and even when I push down on the lid the airlock bubbles then. I'm at a loss.

Sometimes, especially if the internal temp is at the low side for that yeast, it'll ferment without producing enough internal pressure to bubble. I've had that happen before...

Sometimes, especially if the internal temp is at the low side for that yeast, it'll ferment without producing enough internal pressure to bubble. I've had that happen before...

INTERESTING... Thinking back, I think I've had this happen before. I really should take better notes. Thanks.

I've had a few batches like that before. If you're using a bucket (which I assume you are) they are notorious to leak and therefore the CO2 that is produced leaks out instead of through the airlock. Just another thought...

As long as there is krausen, then its fermenting. That's what I go by. Also, instead of pulling the lid off, shine a flashlight through the side or from the top of the bucket to see if there is a krausen build up. I do that with my FastFerment conical.

Yep, you got a leak. If CO2 is being produced it has to be going somewhere.

Just had one this morning that was doing the same thing, I took the lid off and found that the seal had broken and a 1" gap was keeping the lid from sealing. Swapped lids and bubbles galore!

Back