krausen went away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedplay

Reaction score
I have a few batches sitting in there primarys. I got krausen after a day or two, but by day five its almost all gone. The beer still looks like it is moving slightly. Is it normal for the krausen to go away?

They are ales and fermenting a little hot, prob 75 degrees give or take 5

Yes, you should only have krausen for the time when the yeast are most active which with ale yeast is often only 2 or 3 days. The yeast still have a lot to do after that but they don't show much outward sign of that activity.

Perfectly normal. Less vigorous fermentation will continue for a few more days, most likely. That's the movement you're seeing.

On a side note, you'll want to look into temperature control for your fermentation in the future. 75° is hot enough to lead to some off flavors for most yeast strains.

Yea, you definitely need to shoot for low 60's in the beer. If your room is 75 your beer could well be 85 at high krausen. Even 75F in the beer is way too warm for ales- you're going to get some funky flavors. Next time, get some cooling happening and you'll be a lot happier with your beers.

The beer still looks like it is moving slightly. Is it normal for the krausen to go away?

They are ales and fermenting a little hot, prob 75 degrees give or take 5

yes, it's very normal for the krausen to drop after fermentation.
i'll second that you're fermenting way too warm. 75 ambient means an easy 80 or more degrees in the fermenter, not a good thing unless its a saison or something.

Back