krausen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepetitnormand

Reaction score
I brewed a cream ale 10 days ago, the airlock does not show any activity anymore and I do not have a way to take a gravity reading. That being said I still have krausen on top of the beer and I was wondering if the krausen always fall back or if it can from time to time stay on top of the beer once the fermentation is done.

cheer

its always fallen in my batches. You sure it's krausen and not yeast rafts?

give it another few days/week and it will for sure be done. ales finish fast. Then package it up

Don't swirl or otherwise agitate the beer. Not needed and will be of no benefit. Everything sounds totally normal and fine.

It will fall.

I believe there are a few English type strains that don't drop very well, but as a general rule, if the krausen hasn't dropped , she's not done fermenting. Since you say you can't take a SG, then I would err on the side of caution and give her some extra time to make sure fermentation is complete. Give the fermenter a little swirl now to maybe loosen it up. If after another 10 days or so it hasn't dropped, then I would feel safe enough to cold crash, which will drop anything hanging around. The extra time also gives you the opportunity to order a hydrometer, which you know you need, right? Good luck! :mug:

I believe there are a few English type strains that don't drop very well, but as a general rule, if the krausen hasn't dropped , she's not done fermenting. Since you say you can't take a SG, then I would err on the side of caution and give her some extra time to make sure fermentation is complete. Give the fermenter a little swirl now to maybe loosen it up. If after another 10 days or so it hasn't dropped, then I would feel safe enough to cold crash, which will drop anything hanging around. The extra time also gives you the opportunity to order a hydrometer, which you know you need, right? Good luck! :mug:

^This. The krausen should drop on its own over time. I would give it a little swirl today and see if it does anything (don't be overly aggressive). In a couple days, give it another swirl. By then it should have fallen. If it builds back up, it's not done. If it stays down, then awesome. I strongly recommend getting a hydrometer. Without it, you're basically guessing and assuming when it's done.

Back