Krausen not falling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

car421

Reaction score
I brewed an American Hefe last Sunday using sa05 yeast. Hit my target of 1.060 and had active fermentation with the krausen forming 24 hours later - Monday. Here it is Sunday and the Krausen has yet to fall. My blowoff tube in a bucket of starstan is still bubbling away. The only mistake I made was that I started to cool my wort down, got to about 135 and I realized that I forgot to add the last 2.5 lbs of dme at flame out. I put the pot back on the stove and got it to about 150 and added it in, dissolved it while still on the heat and then continued the normal process. I have been brewing for 2 yrs now and have never seen this before.

You mean you're still at high krausen, not just a little foam on top?

I just brewed with sa05 last week. There's still foam up to the airlock after 8 days. Might be a characteristic of that yeast

STOP LOOKING AT YOUR BEER.

Worry over Krausen height???

:smack:

I didn't look at the last 163 batches I made until I syphoned them into the keg.

Guess what? 100% succesful production of beer.

Buckets, no peeking, no hydrometer readings.

World class beer.

Seriously, save yourself the stress. Life is too short.

STOP LOOKING AT YOUR BEER.

Worry over Krausen height???

:smack:

I didn't look at the last 163 batches I made until I syphoned them into the keg.

Guess what? 100% succesful production of beer.

Buckets, no peeking, no hydrometer readings.

World class beer.

Seriously, save yourself the stress. Life is too short.

I'm not stressed, just trying to gain an understanding of something that is different than previous batches. I suspect it might have something to do with the mistake I made. The beer is going to sit till next week and then be transfered to my keg and I'm sure it will be fine.

Both times I've used S05 it has left a krausen/giant yeast raft on top of my beer.

I just siphon under it and get crystal clear beer from it. Not sure why it happens, but my beer is definitely at final gravity, for days and days, still a yeast raft/krausen raft.

More hops will increase surface tension through lupuline oils.

This is why IPAs typically have better head.

Not sure on this one, but as I have said, nothing to stress over.

I have had some krausens last for quite a while but since I usually ferment for 3 weeks I don't really know when the krausen drops. I have had a couple that had some small floaters but not a full cover.

I find that each fermentation is a little different from others. Nothing to worry about.

And I doubt that your late addition of DME has anything to do with what you see.

Some will say this has never happened to them with US-05, but most will tell you this is actually quite common for this yeast. I've had some batches drop mostly out when done--none dropped all Kraeusen. I've had several never drop out and siphoned from underneath a full thick layer.

Don't sweat people telling you to relax. It is hard to read emotion over a forum board so many read every question as if the poster is in a spin-up approaching a breakdown. Of course, many new brewers get exactly this way, so sometimes RWDHAHB, or "Stop worrying and let it work" is exactly what many need to hear.

Some will say this has never happened to them with US-05, but most will tell you this is actually quite common for this yeast. I've had some batches drop mostly out when done--none dropped all Kraeusen. I've had several never drop out and siphoned from underneath a full thick layer.

Don't sweat people telling you to relax. It is hard to read emotion over a forum board so many read every question as if the poster is in a spin-up approaching a breakdown. Of course, many new brewers get exactly this way, so sometimes RWDHAHB, or "Stop worrying and let it work" is exactly what many need to hear.

Pretty much this.

Every fermentation is somewhat unique so you will have odd things happen from time to time (like the time my bucket exploded with zero indication from the airlock).

If your final gravity is good, and your starting gravity was good, and you aren't growing mold, enjoy your beer!

Im not usually in such a rush that I need to rack from fermenter after 6 days. Haha. It prob hasn't fallen because it hasn't had time to fall.

I've had krausen after 3 weeks before. If you rock the fermenter slightly some krausen will drop. I would wait at least 3 weeks before even worrying about it. Even then you can just rack from underneath it.

I have used SA05 quite a lot and have not had this before.

I popped the top and all the foam was stuck to the plastic carboy. Inside it all dropped. I had checked a day earlier there was still some krausen

I've got a blond ale fermenting for 2 weeks now. I used us05 and still have a 1/2 inch krausen on it. I'm not too concerned as I won't rack for another week. And if it's still there then I will siphon under it.

Back