Krausen in the air lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThaOthaWhtMeat

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for a while. I recently started my second batch and during fermentation the Krausen backed up into the air lock. I don't have a blow off tube that fits my 1 gallon carboy so I cleaned the air lock with soap and water, sanitized then replaced it. When I came home there was a little more Krausen in the airlock but it was still functioning. My question is should I keep cleaning and replacing or just leave it be. I'm worried if I keep removing it I may introduce an infection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If it's not clogged and still allowing CO2 out then leave it be no need to fuss with it. However, if you're worried about it then clean it. Your glass carboy is not rated for pressure and a clogged airlock will result in one of 2 outcomes. 1) It will blow off the airlock and stopper and leave your brew open anyways or 2) if the stopper is really jammed in there create a 1 gallon glass grenade. I have had both happen to me but mine was a 5 gallon glass grenade (Oh what a mess and I learned a valuable blow off tube lesson a few years ago). while you're cleaning it place a piece of sanitized foil over it just to keep anything from going in like flies or whatnot.

Thanks guys! I just cleaned and replaced the air lock. Everything looks healthy so I'm hoping for the best in a few weeks.

Thanks guys! I just cleaned and replaced the air lock. Everything looks healthy so I'm hoping for the best in a few weeks.

As an FYI for the next time, you can make a blowoff pretty easily by taking a 3 piece airlock, and attaching some beverage tubing to the airlock, and insert as usual. A little hot water will help it slide on. Then just put the end in some sanitized water.

Latest posts

Back