Krause Height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zibe

Reaction score
Was wondering if Krausen height would be the same in a shallow 6.5 gallon fermenter as it would say in a 6.5 gallon bucket. Would I need more volume in a shallow fermenter or would an inch or two of space above the wort be sufficient.

I realize this could be highly dependent on yeast type, gravity, etc but say you split a 10 gallon batch and put half in a bucket and the other in a shallow vessel with roughly twice the surface area would the Krausen height be the same? Or would the krausen volume be the same which would make it much thinner in the vessel with twice the surface area?

I realize this could be highly dependent on yeast type, gravity, etc but say you split a 10 gallon batch and put half in a bucket and the other in a shallow vessel with roughly twice the surface area would the Krausen height be the same? Or would the krausen volume be the same which would make it much thinner in the vessel with twice the surface area?

What's matters is the volume of the headspace.

Below is a pic of my fermenter (I actually have 5 of them). It's a 6.5-gallon fermenter. I typically have about 5.5 gallons in there, sometimes a bit less, which means I have a gallon+ of headspace. You can see how high the krausen has risen here, and that's actually about as high as it ever ends up. I've had a few fermentations where the krausen actually gets all the way to the top, but I haven't had a blowout yet (knocking on wood).

Your mileague may vary! It depends on yeast, grain bill, ferm temperature--so don't draw any specific conclusions unless you brew like me. :)

This is one of the advantages of these clear PET fermenters, BTW--you can always see what's going on and where you're at with it.

highkrausen.jpg

Clear is useful I always use buckets so I have to go by the ring left when cleaning hence my question. So if you had a second fermenter of 6.5 gallons but it was much shorter and wider would the krausen still get that high for the same batch?

Clear is useful I always use buckets so I have to go by the ring left when cleaning hence my question. So if you had a second fermenter of 6.5 gallons but it was much shorter and wider would the krausen still get that high for the same batch?

If the headspace is wider but not as high, then the same amount of krausen would not rise as high.

That's my question will the krausen rise 2 inches regardless of volume of wort and surface area or if it rises say 2" in a bucket with a surface area of 100" would it only rise 1" if the surface area was 200" given same volume of beer.

It shouldn't, the narrower the vessel the more the krausen could be pushed upwards. I can attest to the fact that my Spiedel 7.9gal fermentor (wider than all of my glass carboys) has thinner layer of krausen historically for like to like beers. I would take this to imply that the increased surface area creates a thinner krausen. However, as others have said, it is all yeast dependent. I just did a Belgian Dark strong with WLP530 in my Spiedel. With nearly 2.5 gal of headspace; I still blew off into a collection vessel for three full days. I will always equip a blowoff tube, no matter the headspace or fermentor width.

Thanks for replies I have this crazy idea to ferment in something like this

View attachment 392892

Which should be right about 6.5 gallons but due to it being so shallow would only give me about 1.5 inches of headspace. I think I could solve this by making a gasket out of a silicone baking mat and putting this on top upside down which would give me more room I guess if I try it

Ummmm.....why?

I can think of a lot of reasons why not to--what are you thinking that this is something worth trying?

About the only one I can think of is that it would fit on a shelf in a refrigerator if you were using that to maintain fermentation temperature.

It would be difficult to carry without sloshing, racking from it would be an interesting exercise to say the least, it would be hard to seal it against the outside world and its nasties....

I thought for a moment you might be considering open vat fermentation such as they used to do with Anchor Steam, but if that were the case you wouldn't care so much about the height of the krausen.

So what gives? You must have something in mind here--give it up! :)

Looking to downsize in the future which may mean giving up the ferm fridge this is the best vessel I can find with flat sides that I could attach peltiers to (if it's feasible that they could knock temp down 20degrees).

I also make a lot of English styles and they've been fermenting in similar "squares" forever.

It's stainless.

As far as sloshing it would have a place and I would fill it with wort from a bucket and empty into a keg in place- no moving while full.

Racking- install a stainless ball valve with a dip tube problem solved.

If I make a gasket around the rim and hold the top down with paper binder clips I guarantee it would be better sealed than my current bucket which prevents nasties.

Not really trying to figure out if it's best practice but trying to find out if it's dead in the water based on volume and krausen issues. If I'm ok with that I'll head to the diy forum and see whether peltiers are a viable option to knock 20 degrees off temp if they could cold crash it'd be a bonus but don't think that's possible.

Just spitballin ideas for now.

Zibe, that first link you showed could be a great idea depending on what you are looking to brew. I've heard several brewers (specifically Belgian brewers) say that the shape of the fermenter affects the beer and rectagular fermenters are their preferred shape. Just look at Sierra Nevada's fermenters for bigfoot

Also, if you wanted to try your hand at natural and spontaneously fermented wilds and sours, I can see those working as coolships with lots of surface area to collect wild yeasts (a la Jolly Pumpkin). For $22 I would come up with a cheap and easy recipe and give it a try to see what happens, it what homebrewing is all about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I did like sours and saisons that thing coupled with high Texas temps would work well but sadly I like clean non-estery beers. Well I should clarify that- Light fruity English esters good, Belgiany saisony esters baaaaad. I've had a bottle of duvel in my fridge for over a year I MIGHT drink it in the event of a zombie apocalypse if I am unable to ferment urine.

I should also qualify all this by admitting this is not my first foray into shallower fermentations. If you search "Open Fermenter" you'll find a thread I started a long time ago that is similar and displays for all to see my bad decisions now I want to take that and add peltiers.....what could go wrong.
If you read that and somehow make it to post 53, we'll ummm maybe that one belongs in the Drunken Ramblings section.

Why use a gasket at all? A cover may be a good idea but a positive seal is not necessary. I used to ferment in the standard plastic bucket with the lid set on loosely (no holes drilled in the lid) and it worked fine. I would top-crop daily. I am going back to that as soon as I get a new bucket and lid with no holes. As for head space, make a smaller (4 gallon?) batch if the krausen flows out too easily with 5 gallons.

I agree I'm not worrying so much about infection but mainly just so I can get a full 5 gallons I don't get that much time to brew that extra gallon is worth it to me

I guess I should also get a consensus on my math but that original pan's dimensions are:
22.1 x 14.1 x 6.2. I figure that includes the lip around it so let's take an inch from the length and width and knock the depth to an even 6".
That gives 21 x 13 x 6 = 1638 cubic inches

I have no formula to convert cubic inches to gallons but Mr. Google does:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489700236.278115.jpg

Am I missing anything cause if I did some stupid math blunder rendering all this for naught and wasting everyone's time I will be forced to delete my account and bother everyone with stupid questions under another name.

Cool thanks wanted to make sure, I'm leaning towards moving forward once I do some peltier research

Back