Kombucha mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlofstrom

Reaction score
New to troubleshooting fermentation abnormalities. I went to bottle my batch of kombucha and saw that our cleaners put the metal lid to my brew jar over the top (loosely, unscrewed) of the cloth covering. This of course led me to scrutinize everything different that I noticed, which was a bit of cottony growth on the underside of the cloth cover, and light staining over the top. Scoby looks otherwise fine, the staining could’ve been there from previous batches and I just never noticed, and for all I know the “cottony growth” could be lint, but of course I’m also wondering if it could be mold. I’d hate to lose this batch as it’s my only scoby, but if it’s mold I definitely don’t want to take the risk either. But I honestly don’t know if it’s mold or paranoia. I typically store it in the back of a shelf in our kitchen island where it’s away from sunlight, ambient temp is around 72-75degF and I imagine acidity is fine (though I don’t have a means to test PH). Any experts out there that can help me ID if this is something to worry about or not?
DC09477E-AC99-4EEA-AA39-B8E887E235F1.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back